TIPS USE FILE netcdf WITH IMAGES Landsat, GEOLOGY AND OTHER PARAMETERS

02-02-2017 01:58 AM
MarcoSolinas
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I'm a Geologist / GIS analyst and I'm finishing an internship in a company computer engineering.

I was asked to follow and try to carry out a project that concerns the use of the file NetCDF (Network Common Data Form, is a set of software libraries and data formats that are self-describing, machine-independent supporting creation, access and sharing of array-oriented scientific data) and their possible use within the GIS and a project for the gas network. Specifically, the title would be: multidimensionality of geographical factors, component GIS and real time processing of space-time sequences in the management of technology assets. Clearly I began to inquire about the use and the various characteristics of this type of file.

basically I wanted to ask you if you were aware of any methodology, or did you have any idea about the use and interaction of these data, Landsat satellite images (which I will use via ArcMap), linear feature (like a gas network), and parameters such as rainfall, geology, snowfall and other environmental parameters that may be useful for monitoring of certain specific points maybe be taken to sample. I think this can be also added to a context concerning for example the railway stations (being also to a project in which they are entered) ... what do you think?

Thank you in advance and I hope I was clear enough, even if he did not very well formulated the question.

Good day and THANKS, Marco

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH 😃

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III

Not sure that I can reply directly to your question. If you have intentions of putting the data in an online map, make sure you pick a format that is supported by ArcGIS Server or other GIS server software. That seems to be a possible hang up (I've only looked into this briefly). Someone mentioned that GeoServer has capabilities with multiidimensional formats. ArcGIS documentation states that netCDF is not ideal for performance.

0 Kudos