Shortlist and Series Randomly Deleting Locations

Jump to solution
02-09-2017 08:03 AM
NikolasSchmidt
New Contributor III

Recently, while altering the content in a Shortlist Story Map, I've noticed that, on occasion, my map will fail to load any of the locations saved to a tab. In every instance of this, it has been the case that all of my tabs, save for the first one, have failed to load their content. I was able to recover everyhting a few times by simply closing the application without saving and reopening it, and my content would load correctly when reopened. However, the last time, because I was editing the first tab, I failed to notice that the other tabs had deleted/failed and I saved the application. I believe that this permanently deleted my content. Fortunately, I have several copies of the map so it won't be too horrible to recover from, but I doubt that this functionality is intended.

The content originated from a .csv which used to create a map, which was then used to create the application, with every field imported to the Story Map. Interestingly enough, when the same .csv was used to create a Series Story Map, there were several locations within it that were also unintentionally deleted (this was before I started on the project, so I can't provide more detail on how these may have been deleted). Similarly, when I used that same .csv to create my first Shortlist, prior to the incident described in the paragraph above, the same locations that were deleted in the Series deleted themselves from the Shortlist.

Has anyone else encountered anything similar occurring with their content? Are there any plans to address such an issue? Has anyone run into issues occurring with other story map templates?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ben

Sorry about this issue. Please see this tech note about the issue with losing places. With the help of Geonet folks we have tracked down the cause of this issue. This tech note also tells you how to make a backup of your Shortlist places:

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-9965-technical-note-about-an-issue-with-story-map-shortlist-beta 

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Nikolas,

We have had reports of places getting deleted in the Shortlist app, and have been trying to reproduce with no success.  It sounds like you may have a reproducible case with your .csv document.  It would be very helpful if you could reach out to Esri support in documenting your issue, and if possible, could you share your .csv document with us?  Feel free to DM me to exchange contact info.

Thanks,

Mark

ARex-esristaff

NikolasSchmidt
New Contributor III

Thanks for the information Mark. I'll contact my superiors and see what I can do on my end to help you out. 

0 Kudos
NikolasSchmidt
New Contributor III

I noticed while trying to recreate the map using the .csv that I was presented with the warning "This file contains invalid characters or is missing some location data. Not all features have been added to the map." I suppose that the application may still be reading the invalid characters used in the .csv somehow.

0 Kudos
BenFricke
New Contributor II

This same thing has just happened to me.  The all tabs except for the main tab will not load.  The original data cam from a feature service in AGOL not a CSV. 

Whats up with this ESRI?

0 Kudos
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Ben,

Sorry for the inconvenience, we still have not been able to reproduce the issue consistently.  Would you be able to share the feature service you are working with so I can have a look?  Feel free to email me at mcooney@esri.com.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
BenFricke
New Contributor II

Sorry forgot to add the story.

http://arcg.is/2pcKBlu

Do the points created on story map get backed up by ESRI on the cloud?

Is there a way to backup or copy a story map so that if this happens again, we will not lose the data and time needed to recreate the data?

Thanks

Ben

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ben

Sorry about this issue. Please see this tech note about the issue with losing places. With the help of Geonet folks we have tracked down the cause of this issue. This tech note also tells you how to make a backup of your Shortlist places:

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-9965-technical-note-about-an-issue-with-story-map-shortlist-beta 

Rupert

0 Kudos