Determining if polygon was cut or not during polygon clipping

Jump to solution
02-13-2017 06:35 AM
JakubSprycha
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to determine whether the polygon from input dataset was clipped to the clipping feature or was taken as whole while inside of clipping feature? For eg. I have 4 polygons as input dataset and 1 polygon to be clip feature. Two of the polygons are clipped (the clip function took only a part of input polygons), one is taken as whole (it was inside of clipping feature) and forth doesn't have a mutual part between input and clip (therefore is not in the output).

Is there any possibility for ArcMap to add a column to the output database which can consist of values depending if input polygon was cut or not - like: whole (for third polygon) or part (for polygons 1 and 2)? I can't figure it out and I have more than 5.000 polygons to check, I tried to do it manually (adding a field in table of output and writing it down) but it takes too much time...

Thank you for any support,

Regards,

Jakub

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Do you have some sort of identifier in the attribute table (other than the object id)?

If so you could always do an attribute join back to the original and compare the area.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Do you have some sort of identifier in the attribute table (other than the object id)?

If so you could always do an attribute join back to the original and compare the area.

JakubSprycha
New Contributor

Thanks a lot, the solution was easier than i thought...

0 Kudos