Elevation NED30m extract

02-11-2017 12:05 PM
LorriPeltz-Lewis1
New Contributor

I am trying to use the Ground Surface Elevation 30m (href="http://goto.arcgisonline.com/elevation/NED30m) data to do some local processing. I wanted to extract an area and then work with it. But no matter what I do the raster calculator fails with nothing in the output raster. I have checked my environments, I am using a mask, projections are all the same, etc. It takes about an hour to finish (odd I think), the area is less than 50 miles square - this should be a simple process, but after 5 tries I am ready to abandon and just download the data and use it.

I am working in ArcMap 10.5, using Spatial Analyst and all Esri tools.

Any recommendations?

Lorri

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try the original sources would be my suggestion.  The two comments seem to suggest that you may be experiencing a similar fate

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Are you sure that there are areas equal 30m?

maybe 30.1/ 29.9/30.08 ...etc. Do you want over 30 m or equal?

try use Extract by Attributes tool  Extract by Attributes—Help | ArcGIS Desktop rather that raster calculator.

try to do mask the output in environment, but let the tool run then use Extract by Mask Extract by Mask—Help | ArcGIS Desktop .

I hope this be helpful.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If I am not mistaken, it is the source of the data from ArcGIS Online that is the problem.  The original sources may be a better option since there are fewer restrictions on its use

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

but after 5 tries I am ready to abandon and just download the data and use it.

I am working in ArcMap 10.5, using Spatial Analyst and all Esri tools.

Any recommendations?

Lorri

So I think she can use Arc Map Desktop.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is good... because, it would be best to download the data from the original source and use it since the source being used isn't the original

LorriPeltz-Lewis1
New Contributor

I just downloaded the data for the quads I needed and processed this successfully. I agree that it seems the data on AGOL was not functioning as expected.