WGS84, alternative projected coordinate system for using osm together with data

Jump to solution
02-16-2017 05:16 AM
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Hallo everybody, I know I asked many questions during the last weeks. I use Arcmap intensely for my point of knowledge sins this time and now I have another problem:

I need the openstreetmap-map in the background. The osm coordinate system is WGS84 (geographic coordinate system) obviously. Therefor I used the WGS84 grid for my other shape-layers, too.

I used the near-tool and I wondered about the wrong distances. I found out, that the output was a result of the wrong unit because of a geographic coordinate system (WGS84). So I think I need a projected coordinate system, which is suitable to osm, isn’t it.

When I changed the coordinate system e.q. to the national grid WGS84 world Mercator or GERMANY 3 Zone my layers didn’t fit to the osm-background anymore.

Please in case of any idea, give me an advice.

Thanks a lot, Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If your data (shapefile) is in GCS_WGS_1984, you need to use Project (Data Management) tool to reproject the data from GCS_WGS_1984 to WGS84_Web_Mercator.

DO NOT use Define Projection tool or change the coordinate system from Feature class Properties (in ArcCatalog).

Think Location

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try using EPSG:3857 -- WGS84 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere).

Let us know your observation.

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Hallo Jayanta, nice that you are answered again to my question like yesterday. Thank you so much!!!!

Unfortunately the WGS84 Web Mercator (Auxilary Sphere) doesn't fit. Zooming on the layer after changing the coordinat system I was located in the Atlantic Ocean west of Africa.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If your data (shapefile) is in GCS_WGS_1984, you need to use Project (Data Management) tool to reproject the data from GCS_WGS_1984 to WGS84_Web_Mercator.

DO NOT use Define Projection tool or change the coordinate system from Feature class Properties (in ArcCatalog).

Think Location
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta,

You are so great!!! It works! You were so right: I changed the coordinate System only in the catalog. Now I am very happy, thanks to you.

A last question, hopefully: The result of the Project-tool-process is a new layer. But this layer is not a additional shape-file. What is it else? Can I delate the "old" shape from my project?   

Thanks so much, again.

Andreas

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you haven't modified the output feature class, the output might be a File Geodatabase Feature Class created inside the Default.gdb.

I suggest you to define the output as per your requirement and in a desired path (maybe the folder where you are saving all the shapefiles for the particular project).

It would be your decision if you need the shapefile (GCS_WGS_1984) for future. Then you may prefer to delete it or archive it.

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Thousand thanks!

Since my last question I tried the near-tool with the "new" layers and it worked perfectly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Andreas

AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

a little supplement: I could transform many layers with the Project-tool. But I had one shape-layer, made from a xy-excel-table, with many columns and rows. The transformation with the arcmap project-tool was not successful. The error 999999: Error executing function came. 

my solution: I imported the Excel table again (File > Add data > add xy data) at first with the wgs84 coordinate system. Therefore the shown elements fitted to the osm-map. Afterwards I exported them in the WGS84 Web Mercator (Auxilary Sphere) shape-format: check if the data fram is in the target format (WGS84 Web Mercator (Auxilary Sphere), right click on the layer in the table of content > data > export data > “use the same coordinate system as”: the data frame > ok

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you attach the Excel sheet or a sample of it?

What is the input filename/filepath and output filename/filepath for Project tool (this particular shapefile)?

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta,

i add a sample of the Excel to this download link: https://gigamove.rz.rwth-aachen.de/d/id/cctb4YP99GcGQ8

(sorry, I did not know, how to attach a file, here)

This is really only an example. It is only the head of the table and the first row. In the original table, there are 6683 rows. I had to chang some data. Therefor the Problem is maybe not reproducible for you. After adding as xy data in arcmap all rows were added but only 255 columns. But for my usage, I don't need the last missing columns.

0 Kudos