Where to find Story Map Shortlist (beta) in the configurable app menu?

Jump to solution
02-16-2017 08:31 AM
SylvainMAZET
New Contributor

I want to create a web application using story map shortlist but I don't find "story map shortlist (beta)" in the configurable app menu.

The only way to produce one is to start from scratch but i can't use the map I already created in Arcgis online.

Thanks for you help.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi  Sylvian

Sorry about this issue. You are correct that in order to create a Shortlist from an existing web map, including the option to use existing point data in that web map as places in your Shortlist, you have to create the app from the map by choosing Shortlist from the Configurable app gallery.  Like you say, if you just want to create a Shortlist from scratch without using an existing web map, you can launch the Shortlist Builder from the Shortlist page on the Story Maps website (or search for the Shortlist app item page in ArcGIS Online and launch it from there).

Looks like you are using ArcGIS Online in French. The current Story Map Shortlist beta isn't translated into all the languages supported in ArcGIS Online yet, and so it doesn't appear in the Configurable app gallery for non-English languages yet. If you would like to use it in English, you may be able to change the language setting in your ArcGIS Online account profile to English, which case you should see Shortlist in the English language Configurable app gallery. Or, if you are using an Organizational subscription, you could ask your admin to add the English language version of the app into the default group used to populate the app gallery. But see the next paragraph..

In the upcoming ArcGIS Online update (currently planned for March 1st) Story Map Shortlist is being translated into all supported ArcGIS Online languages. It will also automatically appear in the Configurable app gallery for English, French, German and Spanish languages, so you will see it. It won't be appearing in the Configurable app gallery for other languages until it is out of beta. 

I think the above explains your situation. Just to complete this post for other people who land on this thread, there are two other reasons why Story Map Shortlist may not be in your App Gallery: 1) You may be using Portal for ArcGIS, not ArcGIS Online. Shortlist isn't available in Portal yet because it is still in beta, but should be available later in the year once we release our final version. 2) Your ArcGIS Online Organization's Configurable app gallery might be customized in your enterprise to remove that app for some reason. Let your admin know you want it or if you don't want to create a Shortlist from a web map, create your Shortlist from the Story Maps website.

Rupert

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi  Sylvian

Sorry about this issue. You are correct that in order to create a Shortlist from an existing web map, including the option to use existing point data in that web map as places in your Shortlist, you have to create the app from the map by choosing Shortlist from the Configurable app gallery.  Like you say, if you just want to create a Shortlist from scratch without using an existing web map, you can launch the Shortlist Builder from the Shortlist page on the Story Maps website (or search for the Shortlist app item page in ArcGIS Online and launch it from there).

Looks like you are using ArcGIS Online in French. The current Story Map Shortlist beta isn't translated into all the languages supported in ArcGIS Online yet, and so it doesn't appear in the Configurable app gallery for non-English languages yet. If you would like to use it in English, you may be able to change the language setting in your ArcGIS Online account profile to English, which case you should see Shortlist in the English language Configurable app gallery. Or, if you are using an Organizational subscription, you could ask your admin to add the English language version of the app into the default group used to populate the app gallery. But see the next paragraph..

In the upcoming ArcGIS Online update (currently planned for March 1st) Story Map Shortlist is being translated into all supported ArcGIS Online languages. It will also automatically appear in the Configurable app gallery for English, French, German and Spanish languages, so you will see it. It won't be appearing in the Configurable app gallery for other languages until it is out of beta. 

I think the above explains your situation. Just to complete this post for other people who land on this thread, there are two other reasons why Story Map Shortlist may not be in your App Gallery: 1) You may be using Portal for ArcGIS, not ArcGIS Online. Shortlist isn't available in Portal yet because it is still in beta, but should be available later in the year once we release our final version. 2) Your ArcGIS Online Organization's Configurable app gallery might be customized in your enterprise to remove that app for some reason. Let your admin know you want it or if you don't want to create a Shortlist from a web map, create your Shortlist from the Story Maps website.

Rupert

SylvainMAZET
New Contributor

Thank you Rupert.

In my profile, I change my location to US instead of France and it works. I have access to Story Map Shortlist beta in the configurable app gallery!

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info Sylvain. That is interesting because I didn't realize that changing the region would do that.:)

Can I check: when you change your region location did that change your ArcGIS Online website language to English, or is the language still French? Or have you changed the region and the language setting?

(The Shortlist Builder will be English until our March 1 release)

Rupert

0 Kudos
SylvainMAZET
New Contributor

Rupert,

I changed both location and language. I just tried to "relocate myself" to France but with english as language: the beta version is still available in the menu!

Thanks .

Sylvain

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Sylvian

With last night's update to ArcGIS Online, you'll now see Story Map Shortlist beta in the ArcGIS Online Configurable App gallery when your ArcGIS Online language is English, French, German or Spanish:

• If you are using ArcGIS Online in a different language than those four mentioned above, you won't see Shortlist when you create an app from a web map: while Shortlist is in beta you will need to switch to a different language in order to create a Shortlist from a web map.
0 Kudos
DevonHedemark1
New Contributor III

Hi Rupert,

I am using ArcGIS Online in English (US) and still do not see the story map shortlist (beta) in the configurable app menu shown above?  I would like to use a web map in the configurable app.

We have a custom map templates group and it is not there either.  I did not remove the app.

Regards, Devon

0 Kudos
DevonHedemark1
New Contributor III

I figured this out.  I had to go to the story map website, open and save the shortlist app beta to my content area, then share it with the custom map templates group in our organizational account.  Then, the app became available in the configurable app menu and allows me to build more apps using the template.

Regards, Devon

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Devon,

Here's the entry in ArcGIS Online for the Esri Story Map Shortlist app beta (English language)

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c62ff7eec30641e69ae6acd7f1599512 

If your Organization's Configurable App Gallery is a custom one that exclude the Shortlist beta, you could ask your admin to add it into the group being used to define your customized gallery, or add it in yourself if you have permission.

Rupert

DevonHedemark1
New Contributor III

Thanks, Rupert.  I am the administrator of our organization. It is not real clear how to add newer story maps to our custom app template group.  I thought they would be available automatically.

Per my note above, I figured out that if I create a new app using the shortlist page you provided, then share it with my custom app group, it is then available for other staff to start building shortlist story map apps.

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos