Cascade template - control line break in title?

Jump to solution
02-17-2017 01:28 AM
MariGerr
New Contributor II

Is it possible to control the line break in the Title of the story map?   For example if I enter the title:

Cascade template

Add line break

I would like the line break to be between template and Add.

When I view the Story Map live, it displays on full screen as:

Cascade template Add

line break

I've tried to use html tag <br>, but don't believe HTML can be used in the text entries.

Any other solutions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Mari -- Unfortunately, that is not possible.

Cascade is a responsive app, meaning it modifies how your story is displayed so that it looks as good as possible on many different devices. This includes different screen resolutions and browser window sizes on a desktop or laptop and all the different sized tablets and mobile phones. Having line breaks in a title often looks nice in a big browser window but can make your cover look very bad/awkward in other cases.

If you have an need to do this for a particular story you could download the app code from GitHub and a developer could customize it to design the cover that you want.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Mari -- Unfortunately, that is not possible.

Cascade is a responsive app, meaning it modifies how your story is displayed so that it looks as good as possible on many different devices. This includes different screen resolutions and browser window sizes on a desktop or laptop and all the different sized tablets and mobile phones. Having line breaks in a title often looks nice in a big browser window but can make your cover look very bad/awkward in other cases.

If you have an need to do this for a particular story you could download the app code from GitHub and a developer could customize it to design the cover that you want.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
MariGerr
New Contributor II

Ah I see, thank you for the detailed response. 

Is it by chance possible, to build a Story Map app online and then download the configured code and develop it further?

0 Kudos
MariGerr
New Contributor II

Oops, disregard my followup question about how to develop an app further.  I read your linked instructions on github for the following info.    

First create your Cascade story in ArcGIS Online using the step-by-step tutorial. Once your story is ready, you have to find its ID in ArcGIS Online. The ID is a 32 character string that you will find in your web browser's address bar when you are viewing your story.

1. Download the application
  2. Deploy the application on your webserver. See FAQ for details
  3. Edit index.html, find the configuration section on line 41 and paste in your application ID
  4. Navigate to index.html (e.g., http://127.0.0.1/Cascade/index.html)

Enjoy! You can continue to use the builder in ArcGIS Online to modify your story. See customize the look and feel section or developer guide if you want to modify the app.