Network dataset problem

02-17-2017 06:57 AM
deleted-user-nlJdz10jQyQL
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm using arcMap 10.3 and trying to obtain a street level network dataset w/ driving time. Do we have a free dataset I can download to kick the things off quickly?

Thx.

Max.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

What geographic location are you looking for? 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
New Contributor

We are currently considering some big cities in the states only. Thx  -- Max.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Do you need to create a network dataset, or could you use the ArcGIS Online Services instead?  The Online Services use authoritative network data.  You get charged a small number of credits per analysis, but it saves you the time and effort of setting up your own network dataset.  Since it sounds like you don't have any street data, this might be a good solution to you.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

We are using arcMap w/ company portal, which is not connected with online service. Is there an easy way to download or copy the online service layers then? Thx. --Max.

0 Kudos
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Hello Max,

Your Portal Admin can configure your Portal to use the ArcGIS Online Network Analysis services, so that you don't have to manage and maintain a network dataset.  It's described here:

About utility services—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Also, ArcGIS Pro is really designed for consuming and using these services, I'd recommend trying that app out for your network analysis.  The ribbon tools work the same whether you're using online or local data.

For a local network dataset, I'd recommend using StreetMap Premium, but that's an additional purchase.  There are some open source transportation datasets out there (many local govts make them available), some with prebuilt networks, some without - but keep in mind that the quality of the data has an immediate impact on the routing result.

0 Kudos