Bathymetry map (DEM) and the reservoir Volume from bathymetry points

02-21-2017 01:14 PM
FarshadShafiei1
New Contributor II

Hi,

I would like to create a bathymetry map (DEM) and calculate the volume for a large riverine reservoir (Lake Diefenbaker). I have the bathymetry depth points. The first issue is how can I restrict the interpolation area to the shoreline areas? Because points are along the river valley which it divides into a fork at the end (T shape reservoir, attached photo), I can’t simply create a TIN surface without creating a boundary around.

Could anyone provide me with a workflow from POINTS --> Bathymetry map (DEM) and the reservoir Volume?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

As far as I know, you do need to include the shoreline delineation as height = 0.

FarshadShafiei1
New Contributor II

Hi Darren, Can you tell me how to do it?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You can delineate the shoreline in many different ways. The problem is that the surface height of the water can change through time, so you need to somehow account for the surface height at the time of your bathymetry collection.

1.) Survey (not feasible for large lakes)

2.) GPS the shoreline (not feasible for large lakes)

3.) Delineate from very recent aerial photos (probably not available)

4.) Use an existing delineation of the lake (e.g. CanVec waterbodies, or higher resolution if you can find it for SK). Ideally, you collected accurate GPS points on the shoreline, and better yet you collected shoreline profiles at locations around the lake, so that you can adjust the existing shoreline delineation to the current condition.