curvature mosaic dataset displaying differently at varying scales

02-21-2017 06:51 PM
Labels (1)
TonyBrown1
New Contributor

I've had this issue with many MD functions, such as slope, aspect and curvature.  I have a 1m DTM MD from which I've created several referenced MD for Hillshades, slope etc.  One in particular has the following function chain

- resample to 25m (curvature doesn't have any real landscape meaning at 1m resolution)

- Statistics function (3x3 mean - take an average of the landscape to 'smooth' out any localised humps and bumps)

- Curvature (standard - z factor = 1)

I am looking to produce erosional/depositional surfaces (or at least indications of these zones) across a landscape.  What I find for this (and other function displays as mentioned above) is ArcGIS will display curvature in a landscape context at scales ~1:10,000, however as you zoom in the displays become more and more precise, to the point the display is rendering well below the resample pixel size of 25m, and makes no sense with regard to curvature at all.  I've attached a couple of images, with blue being concave (<0) and pink being convex (>0) at scales of 10,000; 5000; 2000.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanSchlagel
New Contributor II

I see the same issue with some function output. I suspect it has to do with the stretch being Min to Max, and those values change when you change the view window (either by zooming or moving it around). I don't know how to set a MDS wide standard range though. I'm still learning the MDS feature and raster functions.

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Nathan 

I don't know if this applies (or will be helpful) to Tony's original question, but re: your comment, note when you apply a stretch (whether Min/Max or the other options), you can set the extent to be either the full dataset *or* only the area on screen.  The latter is what you describe re: changing when you pan & zoom, and this is referred to as "Dynamic Range Adjustment" or DRA.

This is the UI in ArcMap 10.5 for the stretch function; if you use Min-Max and Dynamic Range Adjustment IS selected, it dynamically chooses the min & max values.  If that is de-selected, the stretch should not change, based on min & max for the entire dataset.

In Pro if you apply stretch to a layer in the TOC (not using a raster function) this is just an on/off radio button labeled "DRA":

I hope that helps

Cody B.