Need help draping image onto DEM

02-23-2017 08:29 PM
MiguelSilva3
New Contributor II

Hello;

I am new to ArcGIS and I need help with ArcScene. I have been trying to drape an aerial image which I exported from Google Earth onto a DEM I created; but I keep receiving an error:

"Base Surface

The layer and specified surface do not overlap in extent.

Verify they are for the same study area."

I have three files:

Contours 

DEM and 

Aerial photo

Both contours and DEM are a perfect match after selecting floating on a custom surface on Base Height in properties for each.

I will appreciate very much any help!!

Thanks

Miguel

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sounds like one file is in a different coordinate system

0 Kudos
MiguelSilva3
New Contributor II

Thanks...I already sent copy of Metadata;  Ia musing same GCS and projection for both files; still they are far apart

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

something is wrong, I would go back to the originals.  One of the files at least had the 'Define Projection' used on it.  If a file had an unknown coordinate system, don't define it to what you want it to be, but to what it is.  Once you can confirm that the files do indeed have an overlapping extent, get them in the same coordinate system

MiguelSilva3
New Contributor II

That makes sense...I will start from scratch again

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There could be a dataset with a wrongly defined coordinate system. Could you share screenshots of the extents (Layer Properties > Source) of all the layers? Most common mistake is to define a Projected coordinate system (Linear unit like Meters) for a dataset with values which should have been in Geographic Coordinate System (Angular Unit like Decimal Degrees).

Think Location
0 Kudos
MiguelSilva3
New Contributor II

Thanks for your prompt response; please find attached screen capture for both files Metadata (extent and spatial reference). I noticed that the extents are different for both files...big time! 

The first one is the image and the second one the DEM;both are in meters

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

They are representing different geographical extents (not even partial overlap). Are you sure they represent same Area of Interest?

You might like to verify it overlaying the layers on top of Esri Basemaps in ArcMap.

At the first glance, it appears that the data are of different geographical regions.

Think Location
MiguelSilva3
New Contributor II

Here is what I am doing to ensure I'll get it right:

1. I added four benchmarks to the area I want to export as image on Google Earth (I did email the image to myself)
  2. I wrote the coordinates in deg min sec coordinates
  3. I converted min deg sec coordinates into UTM (WGS84 - WGS-84)
  4. I opened ArcCatalog and selcted the Image I imported from Google Earth: I built pyramids and calculated statistics
  5. I opened ArcMap and set up the Data Frame coordinates to WGS_1984_UTM Zone 15N
  6. I brought the image into ArcMap
  7. I enabled the Georefencing tool and ensured that the Image name was on the dropdown field
  8. I opened the Link table and unchecked the Auto Adjust box and proceeded to create temporary links on top of each one of the benchmarks for which I recorded their coordinate
  9. I updated the Xmap and Y map fields on the link table with the UTM  coordinates, selected Adjust, went o nthe Georeferencing menue and selected Affine Trasnformation
  10. I zoom to extent and look at the bottom right corner for the coordinates, which now were consistent with what I entered in the link table; then I updated teh Georeference
  11. I selected Data and chose to export the image and save as a different version
  12. I Defined the projection for the new image and imported the information from the contour file I have
  13. I changed the Data Frame properties and imported the coordinates from the contour file
  14. I removed the original file and brought into the Data Frame the contour file:

I think it should work now, I am going to generate the DEM and then take it into ArcScene and see what happens

Thanks for your help and stay tuned

MiguelSilva3
New Contributor II

It worked!...thanks for your help...I just needed to be more methodical and follow the basic steps; here there is what I got:

I am having some trouble with the colors, do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos