Topology on specified features in a class

02-24-2017 12:45 AM
StanisławPolański
New Contributor II

Hi. I have a polygon class with 1.5 million features count and I need to do topology check. However I need to perform this check on some small specified areas. Is it possible to run topology check on some kind of a subset? I mean selected features only? Creating brand new class with only some of these features doesn't make much sense to me as I need to correct the main layer. Running topology on a whole feature class is out of the question cause I am low on time.

Im a using ArcGIS 10.2.1

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I believe you can set up the topology and then validate small pieces of it in an edit session.

An overview of topology in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Validating a topology—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

StanisławPolański
New Contributor II

Do you mean validating topology on a specified view? There's such an option in the topology tool afaik. Been thinking about that, but I'd rather prefer to have a one big list with all of the errors. Im dreaming about something like spatial filters in Geomedia.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

As Neil Ayres alluded to, one can create a topology on the whole dataset, then in the Error Inspector window check on the box for Visible Extent only.  Zoom to the extent of what you want to work on and then click the "Search Now" button to see what issues are present in that area.  You can bookmark the locations to make it easier to get to each extent that needs review.

Also, a more pragmatic way to accomplish your goal is to export a selection to a new feature class and delete from your main file the same features (make a backup of the full unaltered file first).  Run topology on the exported features and do the corrections.  Then Append the corrected feature class back in to your main file.  It's not an elegant approach, but it is workable.  The distinct area of work created by this method is helpful in ensuring the area that needs to get corrected gets done in full, while at the same time does not lead one into "wandering off" into neighboring areas that are not as high a priority to correct.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) - Append (Data Management)

Chris Donohue, GISP