I can't edit attribute table in ArcGIS Online and I'm admin. What's wrong?

02-24-2017 06:50 AM
MeganPrescott
New Contributor II

I'm Administrator for my organization - and the only person in the organization. I uploaded a shapefile from my computer to a map in mapviewer (it's not even a published layer) but no option to edit the table is appearing even when I first show the table. I want to add and edit fields so I don't have to go back and forth with ArcMap. 

Can someone please tell me what simple thing I'm doing wrong? I can't find helpful documentation.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Megan,

Do you have an edit option on the toiolbar above the Content section? I'd say you can't edit the shapefile as it's basically just a graphic at the moment and has limited functionality.

I'd recommend adding the shapefile through your My Content first using this workflow: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/add-items.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_AE3B53E5DB5B4C37B2414... and choose 'Publish this file as a hosted layer'. 2 items will be added to your My Content, the shapefile and a Feature Layer (hosted) which you can add to a web map and edit.

Carmel

MeganPrescott
New Contributor II

Thanks Carmel, 

I discovered my problem... I didn't noticed the enable editing button on the dropdown of the layer. Everything is editing well now.

Thanks for your time.