How to make a question appear using relevant column

02-24-2017 12:22 PM
StaleyBufford
New Contributor II

I am struggling to get the relevant feature to work in my Survey123 app.

I am asking a question using select_one; is this a deciduous tree (yes/no) and upon entering in yes I'd like the next question to select the species of deciduous trees to appear. I have attached my spreadsheet below so you can see what I have done so far. Any suggestions?

I am following the guidelines laid out on xlsform.org as well as documentation for survey123 from arcgis with no success.

I assume I'm missing something simple...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The value stored from a select_one is the entry in the name column, in your case choice1/choice2 for yes/no.  That is the value that needs to be used in the relevant statement.  You may want to change the name values to something more meaningful to help with analysis of the data later.

StaleyBufford
New Contributor II

These suggestions are amazing and very helpful, thanks James! 

0 Kudos
ReubenWeinshilboum
New Contributor III

Staley –

I made a few alterations to the XLS form that you attached and think that I derived the results that you were looking for. First of all, on the choices tab, I removed list_name “treeType” and “treeType2”.  Secondly, I added list_name “yes_no” with the name in two rows either “yes” or “no” (the label can be Yes or No). This can be used for all of the yes/no questions. Then, on the survey tab, I changed the type for both of the “Is the tree…” questions to “select_one yes_no”, made the appropriate changes in the relevant columns, and set the appearance of the “Is the tree an evergreen?” to autocomplete. This way, if the answer to “Is the tree deciduous?” is No, or (${dTree} = 'no') in the relevant column of “Is the tree an evergreen?”, the user will be prompted with a second question. I attached a only slightly modified XLS form for your review. Great work, Staley! You probably had everything worked out but it was an interesting question to think about. I really like where you are going with this Survey123 application.

Here are some video references that might be of use with Survey123 for ArcGIS https://survey123.arcgis.com/videos/.

StaleyBufford
New Contributor II

This is awesome Reuben! I am always looking for another perspective to gain some insight and make my products better. Thanks!!

0 Kudos