Histogram Equalize for Raster Stretch Symbology

02-25-2017 05:03 AM
RichPriem
New Contributor III

What happened to this Stretch Type for Symbology on a single band raster grid, which seems glaringly absent in my version 1.4 release. Also missing are related options to customize the Histogram.  These are extremely helpful for non-linear stretch on the many Surfaces (Grids) that is not normally distributed.  Are there plans to implement these in a future release, and if so when can we expect?  Also, is there any documentation of plans for future releases posted on the web that we could review?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichPriem
New Contributor III

More info regarding the SDK, where we can find indications of support for this functionality. On CIMRasterStretchColorizer we have StretchType=RasterStretchType.HistogramEqualize.  However, this does not work, and generates bad results.  Furthermore, when Importing an MxD from ArcMap which has layers utilizing this feature, we get the same bad results.  It seems to behave as if StretchType=None.  When we change to Min/Max things are better, but we would really like to have back the Histogram methods.  Any comments from Esri?

0 Kudos
Prashant_MukeshMangtani
Esri Contributor

Both the Histogram Equalize stretch method and the interactive histogram stretch will be coming in a future release though we cannot talk about which release at this time. I am not aware of any documentation with plans for future releases.

The CIMRaster colorizers need to have a lot of properties set on them in order to make them work correctly. We are working on an easy way to create these colorizers in the API for the upcoming release. However the histogram equalize stretch method will be made to work correctly in both the UI and the API in a future release.

I will look into why importing an mxd with a layer with the histogram equalize applied comes in looking bad. This may be a bug. Thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos
RichPriem
New Contributor III

Thanks for comments.  Reading between the lines, "future" release means not in the next "upcoming" release.  I know you can't promise anything, but is it possible to estimate how long we will have to wait for this to arrive:  perhaps with min, mean and standard deviation of expected number of months?

0 Kudos