Is it possible to use select_one and pulldata() together?

Jump to solution
03-01-2017 10:56 AM
KaceyCummings
New Contributor II

I am pre-populating a survey using the pulldata() function and was hoping to use it in conjunction with choice lists (in the event that the native data needs to be updated). It looks like this is not a possibility. In fact, pre-populated fields with type = text will no longer populate when the select_one feature is added to a different field using the pulldata calc. 

Any suggestions/workarounds?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KaceyCummings @Pauline_Low_Pui_Ling @DougBrowning @Stephanie_F ,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have extended the pulldata() function to now include spatial searches and URIs (feature service URLs). You can find the latest announcements, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
40 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kacey,

I'm a little unclear on what you are asking.  Select_one questions with choice lists can be used to select a value that then is used in subsequent pulldata calculations.  

Are you asking about populating a select_one choice list's via an external CSV file?  That is currently not supported- when implemented, the function name will be search(), in accordance with the XLSForm specification.

KaceyCummings
New Contributor II

Hi James,

Thanks for the quick response. I have a list of assets that are being inspected in a CSV, and I have created choice lists in my xlsForm corresponding to several fields in that CSV. My hope was to use the pulldata function to prepopulate data, however, if at the time of the inspection the person conducting the survey determines the pre-populated value no longer applies, they'd simply choose the correct value from the drop down in that same field. 

Thanks!

Kacey

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Thanks for the clarification.  It sounds like you are being affected by a known issue - Survey123 currently does not support the calculation of select_one questions.

GregConiglio
New Contributor III

Hello!  This post is a bit dated... trying this in v2.6.6 and noting the same behavior with not being able to calculate a select_one.  has ths been addressed in a subsequent version? Thanks!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Greg,

Yes, calculation of Select_one was introduced in 2.7.  See https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/04/03/international-mine-awareness-day-27 for more information.

0 Kudos
GregConiglio
New Contributor III

Thanks James!

0 Kudos
ErickWiggs2
New Contributor III

James, 

when can we expect the search() function to be available?

I have two surveys that rely heavily on address based location as well as what is currently in inventory. being able to search any external csv (that could then be updated) would make a world of difference for some of our fuctionality.

Erick.

DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Erick, I have exactly this problem too. We are trying to implement an asset tracking form, but being able to lookup a central CSV or database that can be updated would be perfect.

JTedrick-esristaff‌, any word on this functionality?

AdamInglis1
Occasional Contributor

Looking forward to this functionality

0 Kudos