Cascade: medium-sized image appears much smaller on mobile

Jump to solution
03-06-2017 06:36 AM
RossMcLeod
New Contributor II

I'm putting together a Cascade story map, and when I checked how the app looks on my phone I noticed that everything looks fine, with the exception that whatever images for which I chose the medium size appear much smaller than they should, maybe even a third as large as how the same image appears when the small size is chosen.  This is true of any image placed in a text section.

I should note that I have been working on this story map since before Cascade came out of beta.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RossMcLeod
New Contributor II

I just created a new story map using the same images at various sizes.  Curiously, the first time I loaded it, the problem with the images being different sizes persisted, but the second time I loaded the page, the images were all the same, correct width.

The third time, the problem came back, and that's when I noticed a pattern.  It appears that if I load the page when I'm holding my phone in portrait, the images load at the correct width and will go all the way to the edges of the screen in both orientations (although the bottom of the images are being cut off when I rotate to landscape for some reason), but if the images begin loading while I'm holding the phone in landscape, they load incorrectly.  I tried loading the original story map in portrait and landscape with this in mind and got the same results as with the new story.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ross,

The image size settings only apply when the story is viewed on a desktop. All images in narrative sections should be shown using the full width of the screen on a phone, regardless of what size they are set to in builder.

Can you share a link to your story or a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
RossMcLeod
New Contributor II

The story map is still a WIP so I'd rather not publish it, but I can send screen shots.  The first is in landscape orientation, the second is in portrait.

[snip & snip]

These screen shots were taken on a different phone than my own, but I was seeing the same thing on mine. I think I should mention both phones run on Android.

Thank you for the reply.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ross,

How much white space is on each side of the Functional Chart image? Judging from the image below it looks as if images are being show correctly -- that is, they fill the width of the screen.

Can you crop the Functional Chart image to remove all the white space around the diagram and upload it again and see what it looks like?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
RossMcLeod
New Contributor II

There are only a few pixels of white space around the edges of the image.  If I replace it with an identical image with a gray back ground, the image still appears to be the same size.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Ross -- thanks for the additional info. Would you be able to please share those images (with the white and grey backgrounds) with me so we can try to repro? You can just add it here to this thread or PM it to me.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
RossMcLeod
New Contributor II

I've sent the two images to you. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ross,

Unfortunately, I'm unable to reproduce this issue with your images in any stories I've created. I don't see this on an iPhone or a Droid Turbo running Android 6.0.1.

You mentioned that you've been working on this story for a while. Do you see this issue in new stories that you create?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
RossMcLeod
New Contributor II

I just created a new story map using the same images at various sizes.  Curiously, the first time I loaded it, the problem with the images being different sizes persisted, but the second time I loaded the page, the images were all the same, correct width.

The third time, the problem came back, and that's when I noticed a pattern.  It appears that if I load the page when I'm holding my phone in portrait, the images load at the correct width and will go all the way to the edges of the screen in both orientations (although the bottom of the images are being cut off when I rotate to landscape for some reason), but if the images begin loading while I'm holding the phone in landscape, they load incorrectly.  I tried loading the original story map in portrait and landscape with this in mind and got the same results as with the new story.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Nice detective work, Ross. We'll take a look at addressing this issue in a future release.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos