Update a related record

03-06-2017 07:38 AM
BrianLomas
Occasional Contributor III

Hey guys, I'm new to geoevent and would appreciate some help. I'm trying to update a related table's attributes with information from the related feature class when a new record is created in the related table. I'm not sure if this would be a good application for geoevent or if I need to think of a workaround. Any help or thoughts would be great. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBramer
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Brian,

I think what you want to do will work, but I'm not entirely sure.  The easiest way to think about this is to think about how GeoEvent and ArcGIS Server interact.  To put it bluntly, ArcGIS Server has no idea this thing called GeoEvent Processor/Extension/Server exists.  To ArcGIS Server, GeoEvent is just another client that makes requests, for features via Map Service or Feature Service endpoints, for example.  So when GeoEvent polls for features, or imports geofences, or adds/updates features to a feature service, it's making standard ArcGIS Server request for features, or edits, at the web service tier.  This is as opposed to some back-door or under-the-hood communication between the two products that Esri may have built into the two ArcGIS products.

So to kinda answer your question, if you can publish a feature service where the related table's attributes are exposed, and editable, via the ArcGIS Server REST endpoint, then GeoEvent would in theory be able to update those attribute values.  I rarely work with related tables, so I'm not swearing by this, but all you really need for add/update a feature is the proper REST capabilities on the feature service, and the right fields exposed.

Hope this helps.

Mark 

CallumSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brian

I have a similar workflow and was wondering if you got this to work? If so some pointers would be appreciated..

cheers

Callum

0 Kudos
BrianLomas

Hey Callum,

I didn't figure out a solution on this. This project has been postponed for awhile. 

0 Kudos
MikeSchonlau

I am hoping to do this same thing - populate an attribute in my related table using an attribute from the related feature. Also having trouble figuring the logic to do this? Poll feature then Field Enricher to related table? 

0 Kudos