Display Table XY Dayta

Jump to solution
03-03-2017 02:25 PM
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

I set everything correct but my points place me in the ocean, why ?

x,y in decimal degrees

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You're specifying a projection when your data are unprojected. Use a geographic coordinate reference system and then project.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Probably because your data are in decimal degrees but you're specifying a projection in Display XY data...? Or, you've mixed up X and Y. Can you show the XY data dialog?

0 Kudos
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

Example  -136.179137  25.945518 Decimal Degrees  is the location of data dialog when using identify tool

but the actual data coordinate is -117.10765, 33.121972

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you calculate the coordinates in the featureclass or shapefile's table to ensure what the point object is supposed to be actually is?

0 Kudos
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

No, since I did not export it as a feature class or shapefile, it is just an event.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Please show the tool dialog where you've filled in the parameters for Display XY Data.

0 Kudos
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You're specifying a projection when your data are unprojected. Use a geographic coordinate reference system and then project.

DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

That worked, I used WGS 1984. I was thinking I wanted it projected , but its decimal degrees so your saying I should use a GCS. Thank you.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If your question has been answered, please mark someone's response as the answer to close the question out.

0 Kudos