Can someone from ESRI confirm the order of the mensuration tools going across the top (somebody forgot to put them in) in the Capabilities of Imagery table in the following link ? http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/raster-and-images/maki

Jump to solution
03-04-2017 10:46 AM
KevinCrichlow1
New Contributor III

I would like to use the table to show my students which sensors / imagery product types can natively support the full range of mensuration operations with the given toolset. 

Having the table icon's blank is impeding this.

I would like to confirm the order of the tools going across the top of the Capabilities of Imagery section of the " Making measurements from imagery" portion of the ArcGIS for Desktop help file

Making measurements from imagery—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop CBenkelman-esristaff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SimonWoo
Esri Contributor

The installed help shows the following. 

There must have been a glitch in the published Web Help.

As Cody already mentioned, we will make sure that it gets fixed for the next Web Help update.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

png attached... I hope this is what you are looking for

or this

KevinCrichlow1
New Contributor III

Hi Dan - this is the table i'm talking about. In the line with Raster Type or raster product - shouldn't there be the tool icons going across ? 

Missing icons from the Capabilities of Imagery Table

CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin

Thanks for bringing this up - we'll get it fixed.

I'll plan to confirm with a follow up post, but I'm 95% certain the order of tools in the 7 columns should be the same as the order in the upper table; that is, first column should be

The Distance tool Distance 

...to last 2 columns being 

Top To Shadow Height tool Top To Shadow Height

Base To Shadow Height tool Base To Shadow Height

In most satellite datasets, there is information about the time and also the angle to the sun - those values are necessary to make any measurements based on shadows.  The last 5 raster types (Applanix through Raster Dataset) will not have sun angle information, so it makes sense that the columns for shadow based tools do not have a check mark

(Note I may be wrong about NITF, but I believe this would be a "maybe" not a "yes" checkmark  --> that is, some NITF files will have the sun angle information and enable the shadow tools, but I'm pretty sure this is not a required component of NITF files).   RADARSat won't support shadow measurements because radar is an active sensor, and you won't see (solar) shadows.

The fifth column should be Base To Top Height tool Base To Top Height   and it makes sense that this cell is blank for "Raster Dataset" - for that tool to work, you need a camera model, which will be present in the other raster types but not the Raster Dataset raster type.  (I am once again suspicious that this is incorrect for some, but not all, NITF files)

I hope this is helpful.  

Cody B. 

KevinCrichlow1
New Contributor III

Thanks Cody Benkelman, Dan_Patterson

Very helpful ! 

0 Kudos
SimonWoo
Esri Contributor

The installed help shows the following. 

There must have been a glitch in the published Web Help.

As Cody already mentioned, we will make sure that it gets fixed for the next Web Help update.

KevinCrichlow1
New Contributor III

Thanks Simon

0 Kudos