Help with Spatial Join errors

Jump to solution
03-09-2017 09:29 PM
StephnieWatson
New Contributor II

I am trying to join my data points to the map base shapefile through a spatial join. It is a very large amount of data and all appears to be going fine until the very end when it is creating the new output file. It just gives me the every generic error. Any suggestions as to what may be the problem and how to resolve? The peach line should look like the purple map. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Create a new file Geodatabase or save the feature class inside an existing File Geodatabase.

Make sure the data path is valid (No Space or special character should be present in the pathname).

Also I won't recommend saving the feature class in Default.gdb since it is stored in temp. folder.

Create a new File GDB in a short and valid pathname and save the feature class (e.g. D:\GISProject\MyDatabase.gdb)

Think Location

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If it is a large amount of data, there is a chance that after spatial join, the data size is exceeding the 2 GB size limit of shapefile.

Try saving the output as a File Geodatabase Feature Class.

Let me know if the issue persists.

Think Location
StephnieWatson
New Contributor II

jayanta.poddar  I will definitely give this a try and get back to you on the result. Thanks!

0 Kudos
StephnieWatson
New Contributor II

jayanta.poddar‌ the only option when filling out the output feature class is a .shp or how would I change that? 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Create a new file Geodatabase or save the feature class inside an existing File Geodatabase.

Make sure the data path is valid (No Space or special character should be present in the pathname).

Also I won't recommend saving the feature class in Default.gdb since it is stored in temp. folder.

Create a new File GDB in a short and valid pathname and save the feature class (e.g. D:\GISProject\MyDatabase.gdb)

Think Location
StephnieWatson
New Contributor II

This worked! Thank you! 

0 Kudos
StephnieWatson
New Contributor II

I tried saving it to the default geodatabase area and it would not even start the spatial join. It was an immediate error. 

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Maybe this error is relate to spatial reference not same for layers or you are in start edit session.

StephnieWatson
New Contributor II

All the layers spatial references are the same. Thank you for the suggestion though! Sometimes it is the small things lol. 

0 Kudos