help importing coordinates

03-14-2017 06:35 AM
francescarusso
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I am struggling with something related to coordinates;

I have been given some coordinates for a cable: they are in excel but I had to modify a bit it as it was with blanks rows and things like that.

the original format of each cell is :

latitude: N32 28.5701

longitude : E034 53.1880

so in order to import all the coordinates into GIS (ARCGIS 10.2.2 desktop), I modified a bit the cells to remove the letters "N", "E" and the spaces between the numbers.

It does not recognize the zero as first number so I managed to leave it but when I import it in GIS the "0" disappears anyway.

Now I think (but I might be wrong) that it is not a big deal it deletes the zero as to be honest all my coordinates give me lines linked each other so it should be allright.

The main problem is that who gave me the coordinates told me to assume they are in WGS84. Well they do not appear on the right place of the world (They should be in Mediterranean sea) but they appear in Africa. (using ARCGIS Basemap)

I do not know whether this is a problem on how GIS reads the excel with the "0" or it is a projection problem.

These coordinates are for a quite big area so anyway I do not know which projection to give to them as they fall in different part of the Mediterranean sea.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

F.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Duplicate post Help Importing Coordinates

Think Location