Accident analysis

03-14-2017 08:44 AM
NaliseHahn
New Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I am currently in the process of writing a paper regarding the locations of animal vehicle collisions in a district.

I have been given the coords of the accident locations, as gathered by the police, and have plotted these in ArcMap and then saved it as a shape file. I also have shape files of the district boundary, rivers, roads, vegetation and buildings.

What I am interested in looking at, is locating where there are areas which have a high no. of collisions within a short distance of each other. E.g. where are areas which have at least 3 accidents, in which accidents are within 100-200m of one another.

Once I have located these areas I want to look at individual points within these high collision areas to determine what reasons there may be for so many accidents in such a small area. For each individual accident point I have already filled in the attribute table with the corresponding features e.g. at a single location, what the DATE, TIME, LIGHT CONDITIONS, ROAD CONDITIONS, SPECIES INVOLVED was. 

I am really struggling to find the right method to use since I only want to see the distribution of the points in order to see where we can find high risk areas. I will attach a picture of the plotted points in ArcMap. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never used ArcMap before.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you might also look at the adjacent land cover type as being an influencing factor (ie propensity for cross points being influenced by cover).  You could summarize your data by segment, but its success would depend on how close your points are to the road etc.

0 Kudos