Define Overviews Tool Error when Iterating through Mosaic Datasets

03-16-2017 04:55 PM
AmyShaw
New Contributor II

I have multiple mosaic datasets in a file geodatabase. I need to run the Define Overviews tool on all the mosaic datasets because I want to force the overviews on each mosaic dataset to go to 7 levels to suit my needs. However, when I try to iterate through the mosaic datasets with model builder I get an error after the first iteration, meaning it can't move on after the first mosaic dataset. Why doesn't the Define Overviews tool work with iterate?

See image below for my model and the error message:

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NinaRihn
Occasional Contributor III

I also have this question, although I can't iterate mosaic datasets at all.  I tried with both asingle model, and with the iterator as a nested model.  

with the single model, it just stops when it gets to the first mosaic dataset, and doesn't even go into the first process.

with the nested version, it runs the processes on the first mosaic dataset, but doesn't move on to the next mosaic dataset. 

Are mosaic datasets even iteratable?  (I made that word up)   Or does it have something to do with the output mosaic dataset name needing to change for the 2nd mosaic dataset?

here is a snapshot of my nested version

0 Kudos
AmyShaw
New Contributor II

Absolutely, you can iterate through mosaics in a GDB. I couldn't make it work with Define Overviews for some reason but have done it lots of times especially with build pyramids and stats without having to go the nested route. What iterator are you using? What parameters did you set for your iterator? Can you give me a picture showing that?   

NinaRihn
Occasional Contributor III

thank you for your response Amy... I was going to post my resolution but was  having trouble logging into geonet and then forgot...     I had been trying to iterate rasters, but was instead supposed to Iterate Datasets, then choose Mosaic as the dataset type.   Once I did that, it worked perfectly... so simple!   

0 Kudos