ArcGIS Pro orthomapping tool

03-17-2017 07:14 AM
JessicaTay1
New Contributor

Hello all, 

I am trying to create an orthomapping workspace to stitch images taken by a drone. 

The .tiff images do not have the geolocation data. however, I have everything in a .txt file. 

When I added the images for the project, and loaded the geolocation.txt file and assigned all the relevant field, 

however, when i hit 'ok'. it doesn't move or load the information! the screen just freezes and i can't do anything. 

when i left that information out, and hit 'finish' to create the workspace, of course the images are not displayed since the geolocation information are missing. 

Can I get any help on this? Or please advice me on how I can stitch the photos together. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GreggKimbell1
New Contributor II

Georeferencing a raster automatically

ArcMap 10.3
|

Auto registration allows you to automatically georeference your raster dataset to a referenced raster dataset. The automated links are based on spectral signatures, so it is meant for aerial and satellite imagery, which is similar in nature. The auto registration does not work well with scanned maps or historical data.

To use it, you must place the nongeoreferenced raster dataset in the generally correct geographic location along with a referenced raster that is in a known coordinate system. The Fit To Display, Shift, and Rescale tools help you place the raster dataset in the approximate geographic location. When you click the Auto Registration button, the system attempts to create links from your unreferenced raster dataset to your referenced raster dataset. If accurate links cannot be created, you may need to adjust the source raster dataset to better overlap the referenced raster dataset.

Tip:

To achieve a higher success rate in autoregistration, the two images need to be as similar as possible: geographic location, time and season, image orientation, image scale, and band combination.

1. In ArcMap, add the target raster that resides in map coordinates, then add the raster dataset you want to georeference.

Adding the raster data with the map coordinate system first is a good workflow so that you do not need to set the data frame coordinate system.

2. To display the Georeferencing toolbar, click the Customize menu and click Toolbars > Georeferencing.
  3. Make sure that the layer you are georeferencing is selected in the Georeferencing layer drop-down box.
  4. Zoom in to the approximate location where your raster dataset should be located.
  5. Use Fit To Display to move the raster dataset into the display.
  6. Use the Shift and Rescale tools to more accurately place the raster.
  7. Click the Auto Registration button Auto Registration.
  8. In the Link Table, evaluate the links that were created.
    1. Delete any links that do not appear to be accurate.
    2. Create more links if necessary.
  9. Click the Georeferencing drop-down menu and click either Update Georeferencing or Rectify. Updating the georeferencing saves the transformation information with the raster and its auxiliary files. Rectifying creates a new file with the georeferencing information.
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Providing the link is sufficient... it prevents the site filling up with replications of the help file.  It might be useful Gregg, to remove the redundancy and just leave the link.  I seems you are very new to GeoNet so you might want to explore some of the documentation on answering questions https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback?sr=search&searchId=0e97b9d1-104e-4343-93c6-52...

0 Kudos
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

Jessica,

From your description (drone photos, location table), it is challenging for you to get it done "automatically" in ArcGIS Pro, because the camera model is missing.

From our experience on 2D/3D drone photos/videos (like DJI), you are still required to use photogrammetry package (like Pix4D) to do that first. Pls refer to http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/202576/drone-aerial-imagery-to-qgis 

Also you can try ortho mapping workspace in ArcGIS Pro, once you get that drone camera orientation parameters... (If having many photos without camera parameters, in practice it is not recommended to directly use ArcGIS/ ArcGIS Pro Georeferencing Tool for this type of purpose)

0 Kudos
HongXu
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi Jessica,

Creating ortho mapping workspace requires both image geolocation and camera information. One of the possibilities that I can think of is some of the parameters are missing or not defined with expected unit? If this does not solve the problem, please contact technical support with a small set of simple data, we will help you out.

Regards,

Hong Xu

0 Kudos