Enhanced map service based on ArcGIS Data Store

03-18-2017 02:47 PM
WojciechRozkowski
New Contributor II

Hi All,

In the video from UC 2016 tech session about big data visualization I got a glimpse of so called "enhanced map service" which has capabilities to retrieve data from ArcGIS Data Store and display it in generalized way.

I've tried to look for some documentation about this service but I didn't find anything detailed. I've also check What's new sections for Server 10.3-10.5 with no luck.

In the video, this service was created while configuring an output connector from GeoEvent Server to Data Store (Add a Feature to a Spatiotemporal Big Data Store), but later it was accessible via standard REST endpoint.

So, is it a new kind of service? How does it compare to "old" map service?

Is there other way of creating it than by creating an output connector?

Is it possible to publish this service in a standard way through publishing mxd to ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Was it a hosted service?  If they were using ArcGIS Data Store, then they were also using Portal, in which case the two types of services you can publish are "hosted" and "non-hosted" services.

Non-hosted services are the traditional map services that you'd publish directly to ArcGIS Server.  The data can be referenced in the original location it's stored in or copied to the Server when publishing.  These spin up an ArcSOC.exe process, which consumes memory and CPU on the machine.

Hosted services can be published directly to the Portal and the data is copied into the ArcGIS Data Store.  They don't spin up an ArcSOC.exe process, thus conserving resources on the machine, and you can publish significantly more of these types of services than traditional services.

I don't work too much with GeoEvent, but a lot of clients spin up a hosted service as output, (analysis tools, Insights, etc), so perhaps GeoEvent was creating one of these types.

0 Kudos
WojciechRozkowski
New Contributor II

Jonathan, thanks for the insights.

Indeed, a map service published while creating "Add a Feature to a Spatiotemporal Big Data Store" output connector are hosted services.

Maybe someone from geoeventteam-esristaff can shed some light on how the "enhanced" map service is different from traditional map service except the former is hosted?

Can I publish "enhanced" service manually referring data from the Data Store?

Can I enable additional capabilities to "enhanced" map service like OGC WMS or WFS?

0 Kudos