Spatial join in 3D

Jump to solution
03-21-2017 06:31 PM
Sam_McGrath
New Contributor

I have two datasets:

- Point data which have an attribute value giving the points elevation.

- Polygon layer which has two attribute values for elevation top and elevation bottom.

I would like to perform an operation which adds/edits a field in the point data table which indicates which polygon it it spatially referenced to (in 3D). I tried a spatial join but can't figure out how to include the elevation relationship.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The 3D join option does exist .... but I think it requires 3d features.  For 2D features, you would need to 2d join first to find out what points fall within which polygons, then compare the point z values to see if they were within the top/bottom of the values specified for the polygon.  This would be done within the table of course using a query, or you could add a field to specify whether they met your criteria or not.  Perhaps a snap shot of the table with the permanently joined data would move a concrete suggestion along. 

From the help link above

INTERSECT_3D — The features in the join features will be matched if they intersect a target feature in three-dimensional space (x, y, and z). Specify a distance in the search_radius parameter.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The 3D join option does exist .... but I think it requires 3d features.  For 2D features, you would need to 2d join first to find out what points fall within which polygons, then compare the point z values to see if they were within the top/bottom of the values specified for the polygon.  This would be done within the table of course using a query, or you could add a field to specify whether they met your criteria or not.  Perhaps a snap shot of the table with the permanently joined data would move a concrete suggestion along. 

From the help link above

INTERSECT_3D — The features in the join features will be matched if they intersect a target feature in three-dimensional space (x, y, and z). Specify a distance in the search_radius parameter.

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Make your features 3d aware first using

Feature To 3D By Attribute—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos