Linear Reference

03-21-2017 03:42 PM
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

I am new to linear referencing and wanted to know in the scenario of pipelines and the condition is an example given in my research.  How is this accomplished or any different from just displaying in symbology ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you read What is linear referencing?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ?

The primary reasons to use linear referencing are 

• Many locations are recorded as events along linear features
  • Linear referencing is also used to associate multiple sets of attributes to portions of linear features without requiring that underlying lines be segmented (split) each time that attribute values change.

What is dynamic segmentation?

Dynamic segmentation is the process of computing the map locations of events stored and managed in an event table using a linear referencing measurement system and displaying them on a map. The term dynamic segmentation is derived from the concept that line features need not be split (in other words, "segmented") each time an attribute value changes; you can "dynamically" locate the segment.

Using dynamic segmentation, multiple sets of attributes can be associated with any portion of an existing linear feature independently of where it begins or ends. These attributes can be displayed, queried, edited, and analyzed without affecting the underlying linear feature's geometry.

Also check

Linear referencing scenarios—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Linear referencing sample applications—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Linear referencing datasets in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Designing a linear referencing system in your geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

An overview of the linear referencing tutorial—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Think Location
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the advice, I will take a look at these resources.

0 Kudos
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

It looks like I already have looked at all of the suggested material and created some sample route data before posting my question.

Yet I am still  unclear how  I would use the concept for pipe quality , again  wouldn't I just use symbolization ?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

[why] wouldn't I just use symbolization [instead of linear referencing]

Linear referencing allows you to store linear events separately from the geometry. For example, you can have pipe quality change in the middle of a polyline (without having to split it into two features). 

Linear referencing is especially useful if the data is managed and stored separately from the geometry, for example in an enterprise non-spatial database.

DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

It finally makes sense. An entire pipeline can be assigned a certain status, but there needs to be an existing data collection process of subdivided sections of pipelines.  If not, then there is no need for this linear referencing.

0 Kudos