World Map with Russia and Alaska Overlapping on both ends

Jump to solution
03-20-2017 10:48 PM
sakshimittal
New Contributor III

Hi,

I want to create a work map with Alaska and Russia Overlapped on both ends of the map. The projection must be Van der Grinten I (World). Please help me to create this map.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I assume you have a digital map of the world from some source.  The van der Grinten I projection is noted in the help file, so set the coordinate system of the data frame to it using standard methods.  Is there a specific issue with doing this?

0 Kudos
sakshimittal
New Contributor III

Thank You so much sir for reply, actually I saw a map on website and I want to create the same map for learning purpose only as I am trying to learn the software. Can this happen with the Projection Van der Grinton I. I have tried this but failed to add the overlapped area of Russia and Alaska.

World map Van der Grinton

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A Pacific centered view of the world... of course. 

Not sure if there is a simple out of the box solution, but the 0-360 based coordinate framework is certainly used for other celestial bodies. 

A quick skim leads to an add-in you could experiment with https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=cff0eb2e740d4afd81525c9020673ec0.

I don't work with data centred in that area, and most posts are related to doing a physical shift of the data by recombining the east/west parts, rather than just a display issue.

I will flag MKennedy-esristaff‌ since I am sure she could lead you to a simple solution since this is undoubtedly not the first time this question has arisen (this time I will bookmark it)

sakshimittal
New Contributor III

Thank You so much Sir.

0 Kudos
sakshimittal
New Contributor III

Hi, I am still waiting to get a solution for the world map (Repeating) Dan Patterson Melita Kennedy's Blog#melita kennedy

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Melita Kennedy Employee  answered this question before.

see this link: https://community.esri.com/thread/180352

sakshimittal
New Contributor III

Thank You..

0 Kudos