What is up with searching the online resource center?

03-22-2017 08:35 PM
AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

For about a week now, I have been having trouble using the online help for the SDK (as I have been doing for arcobjects development for many years) via ArcGIS Resources  e.g. search "inmemoryworkspace"

I end up at something like this:

Resources Search Results 

"We’re Sorry ...

We are unable to display the page you requested."

If I search from there again, I end up at beta  Resources Search Results 

I also note that searching desktop.arcgis.com in the ArcObjects SDK also turns up nothing:

Search Result | ArcGIS Desktop 

It doesn't matter what search terms, even common ones like IName and ITable.  Same results for Pro and all versions.

It's got to the point where I installed the 10.3 SDK help locally to Visual Studio again, as the web help is just not working.

Edit 31.03.2017

Still ongoing.  

I did notice today that I can search the ArcObjects 10 VBA SDK, just not .NET i.e. contrast "delete table" search results

search result | ArcGIS Resource Center   with Resources Search Results 

Edit 26.06.217

Still ongoing.

My supervisor got the exact same issue and with some testing we realised that it was broken for me in Chrome and working in Firefox, yet for him (same connection, same software) it was the reverse.  Go figure.

So if this is affecting you, I recommend using another browser and see how you go.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I've added to my favourites hyperlinks the following page, which takes me directly to the latest API page for ArcObjects:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcobjects/latest/net/webframe.htm

0 Kudos
AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

That is good yes, but unfortunately I'm developing for 10.3.1, so need to dig a little deeper than /latest.  There's actually no way to get back to earlier versions from that page, and almost nothing links forwards.  Documentation | ArcGIS for Developers  leads to latest and nothing else, so does ArcGIS ResourcesHelp for Previous Versions | ArcGIS Resources  is dead.  I can get the 10.3 application help, but not arcobjects.

Hence, why I have to use searches on a bookmarked URL and refine back from "latest" to "10.3" as posted (the examples above still don't work, 2 months later) or potter around the index.

The closest workaround I've found is to ditch the entire webhelp, install the SDK help locally, configure Visual Studio to use only that and never go out to the web, just so I can actually search the manual.  Bonus F1 to jump straight to the help.

0 Kudos