Summing point attributes using spatial join?

03-27-2017 11:45 AM
MichaelMiller8
New Contributor II

This should be a simple thing but I have not been able to accomplish a spatial join summing two binary fields in a point feature class joined to a polygon feature class. 

The join completes but the sums of the two binary fields as shown here are not calculated (resulting join fields = 0 for all polygons).

Ideas what I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you really want to do a 'one to one' join? or are you trying to join many to one?

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller8
New Contributor II

Hi Dan.  "Many to one" is not an option (tho, one-to-many is but not relevant) and my task aligns with the pop-up description of one-to-one.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you mean integer (or double with 0 decimals) when you say 'binary' field. and everything is in the same projection/coordinate system since I see nothing about projecting on the fly in the help topic.  the field type and coordinate system are the only two things that I can think of given your screen grab

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller8
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan.  Yes, join fields are long integers and I double-checked my coordinate systems and they match.

This is a bit frustrating.  I already take many of my files to ArcMap for table joins and fields calcs.  Pro is cool but I'm having time-soaking problems with pretty basic tasks.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That was my next suggestion... see if it works in Map... and make sure you are using pro 1.4.1 otherwise, I could check the 'issues addressed' list to see if this is indeed and issue and if it was fixed.  report back in any event if you could.

PS   'contains'  polygon contains point ....  'within' ... point in polygon    just make sure that this is the right way around for your featureclasses

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller8
New Contributor II

Well, my problem was "solved" by exporting my target file to a shp and then performing the spatial join and table joining back to my original target feature class.

This export-to-shp-file trick has worked for me on several occasions involving spatial or table joins and field calculations, fwiw.  Not an ideal situation, but after several hours wasted on a join, I'll take what I can get.

0 Kudos