Legend content disappears between close and reopening project. Anyone else get this issue?

03-27-2017 01:49 PM
MichaelRoss3
New Contributor II

When I close and reopen a project, all of the polygon legend items disappear. I have to add a new legend in order to get them back. With the inefficient way of formatting the legend in AGP, this is becoming a huge time consumer. Has anyone experienced this? It happens on multiple computers.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you have a screen grab before and after? and where is the legend disappearing in the map's table of contents or in the layout?

0 Kudos
MichaelRoss3
New Contributor II

Sorry for the confusion. The legend itself is still present. What disappears is the polygon content out of the legend. It disappears from the layout only. It is still in the TOC and checked as if it was on. Unchecking, then checking the boxes again does not bring it back. Resizing the legend, does not bring them back. At first I thought it was just too large for the size of the legend (maybe the font had changed), but it is just not visible no matter what I do. As I said earlier, I have to delete the old legend and make a new one. When I save, close, and then open the file, the same thing happens.

0 Kudos
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor

Is all polygon content disappearing, or just a legend item worth of content (one layer)?  Are you getting three red dots in the lower right corner of your legend signaling that a legend item wouldn’t fit?  Does the content come back if you resize the legend?  

We haven’t seen this behavior before when saving and reopening a project, so I’m just trying to narrow down the possibilities.  Have you contacted support about this issue? 

Thanks, David

0 Kudos
MichaelRoss3
New Contributor II

Hi David, it is not every polygon layer all the time. If I was to generalize then I would say the polygon layers that are filled in and/or have transparency tend to disappear.

No I do not get the red dots and the layers do not come back after resizing.

I have not contacted support, I wanted to see if someone had experienced it before and found a quick fix. I find the way the legend options are set up in AGP are difficult to use, not enough control, and buggy. I was wondering if I was missing something. I tried to do some projects in AGP and wasted so much time with the legends and making it look right, that I had to give up AGP.

Thanks for help.

Mike

0 Kudos