Updated feature layer in Story Map Shortlist

Jump to solution
04-03-2017 11:23 AM
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III

I have a feature class in Desktop.  I created a hosted feature layer and made a web map and story map from it in ArcGIS Online.  I now need to make some edits to that feature class.  How do I make the edits in Desktop and have them sync to my ArcGIS Online maps/apps?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Crystal

For this to work you have to have chosen the 'As is' option when you first created your Shortlist from your web map. That option establishes the live link between your web map and the Shortlist app. To use that option your places need to be defined in a single layer using a set of fields that the Shortlist looks for. You can get that template from this FAQ or  from the wizard that appears when you make a Shortlist from a web map containing point data. The option in the green box below is the one to use.

If you created your Shortlist using either of the other options in that wizard, then there's no live link between your original web map and your Shortlist, and the only way to update the places in your Shortlist is interactively inside the Shortlist Builder. 

Rupert

Note: the 'As is' option in the current Shortlist beta isn't working correctly if you try and use an ArcGIS Enterprise feature service (i.e. a service served up on your own enterprise server. It works OK with feature services published via ArcGIS Online and CSV and SHP files uploaded into your web map). Sorry about that issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

After editing your local data just republish the service to update it with your changes. Changes in the feature service will be visible in any maps/apps that use that service next time they are launched.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III

The changes are not visible in the Story Map or the Shortlist builder web Map that is automatically generated.  The changes only were visible in the web Map that I used to create the story map.  Do you think it's because the Shortlist builder automatically creates a web map?

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Crystal

For this to work you have to have chosen the 'As is' option when you first created your Shortlist from your web map. That option establishes the live link between your web map and the Shortlist app. To use that option your places need to be defined in a single layer using a set of fields that the Shortlist looks for. You can get that template from this FAQ or  from the wizard that appears when you make a Shortlist from a web map containing point data. The option in the green box below is the one to use.

If you created your Shortlist using either of the other options in that wizard, then there's no live link between your original web map and your Shortlist, and the only way to update the places in your Shortlist is interactively inside the Shortlist Builder. 

Rupert

Note: the 'As is' option in the current Shortlist beta isn't working correctly if you try and use an ArcGIS Enterprise feature service (i.e. a service served up on your own enterprise server. It works OK with feature services published via ArcGIS Online and CSV and SHP files uploaded into your web map). Sorry about that issue.

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

ressinger-esristaff‌ Has the 'As is' error been fixed? What version had this bug? 

0 Kudos
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

This was fixed in version 2.3.2 (Release V2.3.2 · Esri/storymap-shortlist · GitHub )