story map extents change

Jump to solution
04-05-2017 09:01 AM
CraigEissler2
New Contributor II

I've noticed on several occasions that some of my Story Map maps have their Extent permanently changed to the last Zoom level I was at when navigating that particular map. I have the Extents "set" in the Item Detail Settings, so I'm not certain how these get changed. ...Am I doing something or is this a bug?

Thanks, Craig E.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Craig

Yes. the main thing is that when you open a web map and save it, the extent of the map at the time you save it becomes the map's initial/home extent the next time you or someone else views it. So if your web map is being displayed in an app like a Story Map app, that extent change will in most cases be reflected in the story map, unless you, depending on the particular app you are using, have used the option to configure a custom extent for that web map. For example in Story Map Series, Journal and Cascade, when you add a web map into the story, you can override the default extent inside the Builder and specify the extent you want to show on the map. In that case, the web map will be displayed at that extent irrespective of the saved extent in the web map.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Craig

Sorry about the issue. If you navigate the web map in the ArcGIS Online web map viewer. and then save it, it will update the home extent of that web map, and this will be reflected in the Extent values on the Settings tab of the web map's item page (entry in ArcGIS Online). If you navigate in the web map in the map viewer without saving, it shouldn't update that home extent. I'm assuming you are navigating the web map in the map viewer. Note that the Story Map Shortlist, Crowdsource and Map Tour Builders have options to specify the home extent of map that is displayed in the web map. Perhaps let us know the exact steps you are performing.

Rupert

0 Kudos
CraigEissler2
New Contributor II

Thanks Rupert,

Yes I am navigating the Web Map Viewer in Story Map w/in Edit mode. ...So, since the Item Details Extent Settings don't override, I guess that means I need click the Home button on the Map Viewer (to return the Extent Settings) BEFORE I save?

- Craig

Sent via my Samsung Galaxy, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Craig

Yes. the main thing is that when you open a web map and save it, the extent of the map at the time you save it becomes the map's initial/home extent the next time you or someone else views it. So if your web map is being displayed in an app like a Story Map app, that extent change will in most cases be reflected in the story map, unless you, depending on the particular app you are using, have used the option to configure a custom extent for that web map. For example in Story Map Series, Journal and Cascade, when you add a web map into the story, you can override the default extent inside the Builder and specify the extent you want to show on the map. In that case, the web map will be displayed at that extent irrespective of the saved extent in the web map.

Rupert

0 Kudos
CraigEissler2
New Contributor II

OK, thanks for that, Rupert. ...SO then what purpose does the Item Details > Extent serve?

And, why does it reset to "no extent has been set for this item"? But yet when I go to that item (Web Map) there are extents set?

-Craig