Evaluation Depression

04-10-2017 09:23 AM
Labels (1)
AshleyHitt1
New Contributor

I've ran Depression Evaluation 8 times before with no errors but now at my 9th attempt I keep getting the same error. (see attachment).  I've done nothing different from the previous 8 runs. I've disabled background geoprocessing and after the first few errors I deleted everything out of my temp folder, restarted ArcMap, deleted the shapefiles it created during the error so there wouldn't be any overwrite errors but still the same error every time!  If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated!!  TThanks!

Depression Evaluation Error

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
LauraChapa1
New Contributor II

I cannot help with the error you are getting, but I was wondering if you resolved it yet? I am getting the same error when I run Sink Prescreening or Sink Evaluation and am at a loss of what to try next. 

0 Kudos
AshleyHitt1
New Contributor

Hi Laura...I ended up creating a new map document.  I was on my 7th or 8th round of Depression Evaluation so I created my new map document with those shapfiles and ran DE exactly how I was in the old map document and it worked fine. Hope this will help you out!   

0 Kudos
LauraChapa1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Ashley! I finally figured it out. I found that my DEM was way too large (an entire county) and my graphics/video card on my laptop couldn't handle the geoprocessing. I created a subset, converted it from floating point to an integer, converted the raster to GRID format, and raster calculated all NoData values to 0. I did a restart, opened a new map document on a different (more robust) desktop, and it worked! 

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

In noticed when looking at the posted screenshot that several of the paths used appear to contain restricted characters.  Specifically, there seems to be periods in folder names.  If that is the case, try renaming them to underscores or otherwise eliminate them, as restricted characters will often trip many types of raster processing. 

Also, it is recommended if possible, keep the path as short as feasible and avoid long file and folder names.  Even though in theory one could have long paths, in reality raster processes can choke or throw errors if long paths are used.  Yet the same process will work without issues if the path is shortened.  For example, put the data in something really short like C:\Test\Water.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos