>>>Poisson Surface Reconstruction<<< failed with error (bad allocation)!

04-12-2017 05:00 AM
JuriKlusak1
New Contributor

Hi there,

I've been repedetly getting this error during 3D mesh construction:

2017-04-12 10:25:54,021 INFO  - {"exit":{"code":"1","errorMessage":">>>Poisson Surface Reconstruction<<< failed with error (bad allocation)!"},"status":{"currentStep":"dense","detailedMessage":"Poisson Surface Reconstruction","overallProgress":"40","substep":"Dense mesh creation"},"timestamp":"1491985550982"}

2017-04-12 10:26:10,416 INFO  - {"exit":{"code":"1","errorMessage":"Failed to generate 3D textured mesh"},"status":{"currentStep":"dense","detailedMessage":"Poisson Surface Reconstruction","overallProgress":"40","substep":"Dense mesh creation"},"timestamp":"1491985570416"}

2017-04-12 10:26:10,432 INFO  - {"exit":{"code":"1","errorMessage":"Failed to generate 3D textured mesh"},"status":{"currentStep":"dense","detailedMessage":"Step1Done","overallProgress":"40","substep":"Dense mesh creation"},"timestamp":"1491985570431"}

2017-04-12 10:26:13,082 INFO  - {"exit":{"code":"1","errorMessage":"Failed to generate 3D textured mesh"},"status":{"currentStep":"dense","detailedMessage":"Aborting ...","overallProgress":"40","substep":"Dense mesh creation"},"timestamp":"1491985573082"}

I'm running it on a Lenovo thinkpad yoga laptop (i7, 265SSD, 8GB RAM). The data is on an external SSD.

I did notice my onboard SSD space went down to a remaining 7 GB before the compution stopped, but I'm not sure if this is relevant. Attached are some screenshots of settings. Other projects ran fine so far.

Any suggestions? Help will be very much appreciated, as this is quite time sensitive...

Cheers.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Juri,

I'm sorry you're having trouble creating the mesh. It does appear that you will either need to run this on another machine (that has more memory) or loosen the requirements for mesh creation. You could try creating a medium or low resolution mesh, or you can create a custom mesh with lower values for maximum octree depth and maximum number of triangles.

Roslyn

0 Kudos
JuriKlusak1
New Contributor

Hi Roslyn,

thanks for the quick reply. Are you speaking of RAM or disk space? Would you know what exactly might be causing the issue?

Cheers,

Juri

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Juri,

The error message seems to indicate lack of RAM, but since your SSD drive was almost full the issue *may* be lack of disk space. First, try clearing space on the drive if you can. Then, try lowering the mesh setting to "Low Resolution" to see if you can even get a mesh output. Ultimately you may need to process your Drone2Map project on another machine to get the desired resolution.

~Roslyn

0 Kudos
JuriKlusak1
New Contributor

Thanks. I'll try to run it again on an external SSD.

One more thing - my current worklflow is

1) creating a project with the rapid preset, loading pictures only and producing an orthomosaic

2) adding GCPs to the project (about 10 links each), which I find a lot easier with the orthomosaic generated

3) setting as above for high resolution 2D and 3D outputs and running again

Could the previously created mosaic be an issue here? As I understand it, when I hit start again, all created data is erased and a new (in this case high res) mosaic being created?

Juri

0 Kudos
JuriKlusak1
New Contributor

Oh, also is it possible to run the project from where it failed and skip right to the mesh creation? I saw the data is all still there - or do I have to start again, going through initial, dense and 2D processing? Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The previously created Rapid products should not be an issue. If you re-run the project with different settings Drone2Map will begin again from step 1. We plan to improve this for our next release so users can re-run a portion of the project instead of having to begin again.

0 Kudos