Can an Insights page be shared publicly and accessed without logging into Portal?

Jump to solution
04-13-2017 01:57 PM
LSaunders
New Contributor III

I have an Insights workbook with a page that I want to share within my department. Can I share this Publicly in my Portal and have someone access that page without logging into Portal?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Leah,

At this moment if you share a page from a workbook in Insights to Everyone, the user has to be atleast a Level 1 viewer in order to login to Portal to view the page. 

However, in the Share a Page dialog, you'll see a section to embed a page

• Copy Embed Code URL: portal/apps/insights/index.html#/embed/<IDofthePage>.

You can create a simple HTML file in your organization's web server and insert this embed code as a DIV element to allow public access to your employees who don't have a portal named user account. 

Thanks,

Aravind

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Leah,

At this moment if you share a page from a workbook in Insights to Everyone, the user has to be atleast a Level 1 viewer in order to login to Portal to view the page. 

However, in the Share a Page dialog, you'll see a section to embed a page

• Copy Embed Code URL: portal/apps/insights/index.html#/embed/<IDofthePage>.

You can create a simple HTML file in your organization's web server and insert this embed code as a DIV element to allow public access to your employees who don't have a portal named user account. 

Thanks,

Aravind

LSaunders
New Contributor III

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Leah

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Kudos
FabienLuthi
New Contributor II

Hello Aravind,

When I share my Insights page I have 3 options:

• View your shared page
  • Access your page item
  • Embed (coping the <iframe> code and paste it into the source coude of my website)

My question is: Why do I have to login to Portal if I choose the option 1 and 2? Because if i choose option 3 the result is the same after having embeded: I can view the Insights page as well as if I had chosen option 1 or 2.

Are there another differences between options 1-2 and option 3?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Fabien,

I apologize in advance, but I'd like to request a little clarification on the sentence: "My question is: Why do I have to login to Portal if I choose the option 1 and 2? Because if i choose option 3 the result is the same after having embeded: I can view the Insights page as well as if I had chosen option 1 or 2."

But, let me clarify what I meant in my previous answer:

• View your shared page
  • Access your page item

The first two options have the URL: portal/apps/insights/#/view/<IDofthePage>. This page forces you to login to Portal for ArcGIS because both these pages allow users to seek the internal Portal documentation links. You can also sign out of Insights by just choosing your profile on the top right. You can also see the Analysis view of the steps that were performed. Most of these require atleast level 1 viewer privileges.

• Embed (coping the <iframe> code and paste it into the source coude of my website)

To circumvent the problem with sharing your results on a page in Insights to other people who're not members in Portal, you can use the embed URL: portal/apps/insights/index.html#/embed/<IDofthePage>. This gives an embed view of the Insights page without a full context of how Insights actually looks like, which allows someone who is not a member in Portal to see it. You cannot sign out of Insights or do any of the operations on an embed view.  

Hope that explains.

Thanks,

Aravind

FabienLuthi
New Contributor II

Thank you for your answer.

Fabien

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aravind

We have the same problem.

Is it define as a bug?

Is it going to be solved (and when)?

You wrote "At this moment" 6 mount ago...

Thanks

0 Kudos