How to project Decimal Degrees coordinates using distance and bearing?

04-12-2017 08:14 AM
MaxWithey
New Contributor

Hi,

I am working on an ecological research project looking at mammal behaviour in South Africa. I collected the data over 6 months and have over 4000 spatial locations to work with. My method was to take a GPS point of my location (originally in Degree Decimal-Minutes, now converted to Decimal Degrees to make it work in ArcMap), and a distance and bearing to the animal sighted. I now need to project these coordinates using distance and bearing so they reflect where the animal was, not where I was. 

I have found online tools that do it, but only singularly. With over 4000 to do this is not an option. In theory it is a simple process, but I have struggled to find a tool that does it.

Any help with this would be much appreciated

I am familiar with ArcGIS,but am no expert and have never worked with python. I am using ArcGIS 10.4 on a basic license.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
MaxWithey
New Contributor

Thanks, I tried that and got the projected lines, but unable to find a way to attain the end coordinate. I had read that following the use of "distance bearing to line" you can use "feature vertices to point" to create a point file with the coordinates. The problem is that I don't have this tool in 10.4 Basic.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you have the line, then you can use Add Geometry Attributes to get the start, and end coordinates of the line, or simply use the field calculator to retrieve the X and Y values of the end of the line.

0 Kudos