clipping shapefile based on .adf file

04-18-2017 12:45 AM
Labels (1)
RabinsGaudel
New Contributor II

Hi, I am doing my thesis work on LiDAR data. I try to clip shape file based on (.adf) file. I could not find the right tool or help for this operation. I tried clip but computer does not  understand (.adf) as raster format. I tried to convert it to TIFF ( by export-save as .tif) but it did not solve the problem. It would be good if someone could help me with this issue. Thanks in advance..

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

clip requires a featureclass to do the clipping.  What tool are you trying to use?

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Two Clip tools in Arc toolbox:

One for raster as Dan mention --> Arc Toolbox > Data Management Tools > Raster >  Raster Processing  > Clip

Clip—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Second for Vector Data --> Arc Toolbox > Analysis > Extract > Clip

Clip—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think the OP wants to clip using a raster... both tools noted use vector inputs.  The extent of the raster can be used to create a clipping extent.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

My pervious comment for clarify .

Dan, the tool always relate to Input that will process on .The first tool for clipping Raster input ( ESRI doesn't  put it in Raster toolset for nothing), and the second tool in my post for clipping vector Input.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ok... I was just clarifying that he wanted to clip a vector using a raster, which no tool does.

RabinsGaudel
New Contributor II

It seems ArcGIS does not have straight tool for this operation. Basically I have a .adf file of a forest land (36km2) and a river network of relatively large area; I was trying to clip that river shape file only to that extent. I was thinking if I create a new shape file with same extent as raster and use this as filter to clip the shape file. I will check it when I reach to University ( I don't have ArcGIS at home)

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

You can take your original raster and then convert it into a raster with only 1's or No data using the raster calculator.

With a function like Con(IsNull(Ras), Ras, 1).

Then convert this to a polygon using 

Raster to Polygon—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

RabinsGaudel
New Contributor II

Thanks this works. Thanks you all, this is really a active and useful communityL  Another question; why does the .tif file I converted from .adf file is not recognized by ArcGIS as raster. I tried to operate simple (erase, clip..) operation but when I navigate to the  file location ArcGIS does not recognize the file . 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I think you will have to give us more info to comment.

Sorry, if my previous suggestion worked for you, in what way does Arc not recognise the tif?

0 Kudos