Polygon loses shape

04-17-2017 12:44 PM
Labels (1)
RoxanneWilson
New Contributor III

I'm digitizing buildings based on foundation surveys.  Once I hit F2 to finish the sketch, vertices I placed on the foundation footprint, move.  Trying to find out why and how to stop this from happening. 

I've attached a screenshot of what is happening.  The black outline is the building foundation I traced, but the selected polygon is quite obviously not following that footprint in several spots.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Try to add this feature class only and the building foundation in new MXD.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There are a whole variety of things that can cause this.  To narrow things down, can you provide the following details:

1.  Which software package are you using and what version?  ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGISPro, etc.  10.5, 10.4, 10.3, etc?

2.  What type of database is the polygon feature class being stored in?  File or Personal Geodatabase, SDE, shapefile, coverage, etc?

3.  To digitize, are the standard Editing tools being used or another toolset?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
RoxanneWilson
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Desktop version 10.3.1

SDE

standard editing tools

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I'd start by checking the Domain, Resolution,and Tolerance settings using ArcCatalog:

• If the data is in a Feature Dataset, check the Domain, Resolution, and Tolerance settings of the Feature Dataset in case any of them are wildly different than what they need to be.
  • If instead the data is a stand-alone feature class, check the feature class itself for the Domain, Resolution, and Tolerance settings.

Also, while you are checking the properties, do a quick check that the Projection/Coordinate system is appropriate for your data (just in case it was not assigned).

Also, any chance your data is in a Parcel Fabric?  I ask as I hear there are other settings that affect editing of that type of data, so that may also be in play.

Chris Donohue, GISP

RoxanneWilson
New Contributor III

All of the settings look as they should.  We haven't moved to the parcel fabric yet either.

Wondering if it's just an mxd issue.  I can load this layer and others into a new map and digitizing works as it should.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

So the problem in the current MXD only.

Could you close snapping and re-digitize again?

Uncheck Use Snapping.