Is there a way to convert from polygon to points based on population of the polygon similar to dot density symbology

Jump to solution
04-18-2017 06:09 AM
Labels (1)
ChrisRichmond
New Contributor

I can display the number of patients by census tracts using dot density but I also want to display expected percent change in the future.  I don't think I can do both of those with symbology, is there a way to convert from a polygon to points based on the number of patients by census tract so that I have a feature class that looks like a dot density?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

You need to Use Create Random Points tool Create Random Points—Help | ArcGIS Desktop :

but before that , create short integer field and calculate the count of point (Value / the value per one point )

and use this field in Create Random Point tool as number_of_points_or_field

and don't forget to define your polygon feature class as constraining_feature_class

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChrisRichmond
New Contributor
0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

You need to Use Create Random Points tool Create Random Points—Help | ArcGIS Desktop :

but before that , create short integer field and calculate the count of point (Value / the value per one point )

and use this field in Create Random Point tool as number_of_points_or_field

and don't forget to define your polygon feature class as constraining_feature_class

ChrisRichmond
New Contributor

Thank you, don't know why I didn't think of that but that worked perfectly for what I was needing.  Thanks again Abdullah

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

I'm glad for that.

0 Kudos