Is there a work-around for the Collector for ArcGIS app on a Windows phone?

04-18-2017 08:55 AM
deleted-user-rqN42KX6-Rcs
New Contributor III

I've added a location tracker in my ArcGIS Online map and now believe it won't work without also using the Collector for ArcGIS app. Unfortunately, I have a Windows phone and it doesn't seem possible to use unless I have an iPhone, Android, or PC. Is there a work-around for the Collector for ArcGIS app on a Windows phone without using Survey123 or GeoForm?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Matthew-

Currently we don't support Collector on Windows 10 Mobile.  However, adding support for Windows 10 Mobile is an area we are continuing to monitor for consideration in future releases of Collector.  Can you share what Windows phone devices you would like to use Collector?

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Hi Doug,

I have a Microsoft Lumina 735 Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I also use a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 but don't have 4G which makes field collection difficult if I can't connect.

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing the device info.  

One thought in the interim is to use the Phone as a mobile hotspot for the Surface Pro 4 if you want to work connected.  Otherwise you could use the Surface Pro 4, pair it with an external GPS, and work offline.

New Contributor III

I have been working with both a mobile hotspot and a Trimble but was hoping to bypass those routes alltogether. According to the blog, the Collector for ArcGIS app was slated to be released for Windows Phones and available through the Windows Store sometime last year but never made it. Is there a newly projected date of release or has the project been scrapped altogether?

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

This delay is in part due to a limitation of the underlying ArcGIS Runtime, which should be resolved later this year.  Meanwhile we are continuing to track Microsoft’s plans for Windows 10 Mobile, which have been rather unclear over the past 18-24 months.  At this point I don't have a firm date for you, other than to let you know we are continuing to gauge customer interest in Collector on Windows 10 Mobile; to this point we have not had strong demand though.

New Contributor III

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos