How to find a route of fixed length, starting and ending at same point

04-18-2017 10:52 PM
MatthewLeonard
New Contributor III

This is a problem I would like to solve with Network Analyst in ArcGIS 10.3x.  The goal is to find a running route for a road race, using a slope attribute (which I have assigned to road segments) as the cost to find the flattest route meeting the given length and given start/end (same point).  I have previously used Network Analyst to find the shortest/least cost route from point A to point B, but I'm not sure how to accomplish the problem I stated above.  Does anyone have an idea of how to do this?  Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

networkanalyst‌

Bringing in the network analyst place, since this question goes into that area as well.

You could try using the Vehicle Routing Problem and set a MaxTotalDistance on the route (Vehicle routing problem analysis—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ). That will put a cap on the analysis but not a minumum.

You could also try generating a service area where the break value is the fixed length you want, generate lines with it and make sure you check in the Accumulation tab to accumulate values on each line. Then you can look at the accumulation on each line to pick out a route with the right length. (Service area analysis—Help | ArcGIS Desktop). Maybe use a route from the facility to one of the end points to help.

Hope one of those suggestions helps!

0 Kudos