IGeoDataServer.CreateReplica How to download directly to a file geodatabase

04-18-2017 02:22 PM
MKa
by
Occasional Contributor III

I am creating a disconnected checkout replica using CreateReplica on my PARENT Geodataserver, then Importing into a CHILD geodatabase.  My customers will be replicating from my PARENT Geodatabase to locations worldwide and I was wondering if there is a more efficient way of doing this.  I have went through every option available for CreateReplica and cannot find a more efficient way then this below.  It seems to take forever for the import to happen.  It takes me over a minute and I am located in the same space as the server itself.  I have had one user timeout at ten minutes, so I thought I would take another look.

//Create the Replica on the Server

IGDSData gsdata = ParentGeoDataServer.CreateReplica("", ReplicaName.ToUpper(), gpReplicaDesc, replicaOptions, replicaExportOptions, esriGDSTransportType.esriGDSTransportTypeEmbedded);

//Import the Replica

ChildGeoDataServer.ImportData(gsdata, esriGDSImportFormat.esriGDSImportFormatFileGDB);

Does anyone know how to perform this action in the Help for IGeoDataServer.CreateReplica Method.  I have searched the ENTIRE internet trying to do this documentation here.

"For check-out replicas, you can also choose to replicate directly to a file geodatabase or personal geodatabase. Here the output is the replica geodatabase and therefore no import is required."

Then I could just skip the import if somehow I could cast the IGDSData object to my ChildGeoDataServer (File GDB) and not have to do that long import process.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KarlHuber
New Contributor III

Hi,

use IGeoDataServer.CreateReplica(...) if you need to do replication in a "disconnected environment", where your parent database can make NO connection to your replica database.

If you want to replicate your data DIRECTLY into a replica (file) geodatabase you need to switch to a "connected environment". In that case you have to make use of the IReplicationAgent Interface from the ESRI.ArcGIS.GeoDatabaseDistributed module:

IGeoDataServer parentGeoDataServer = ...

IWorkspace myFileGdbWorkspace = ...

IGeoDataServer childGeoDataServer = ... // init from myFileGdbWorkspace ...

IReplicationAgent replicationAgent = new ReplicationAgentClass();

IGPReplicaOptions replicaOptions = ...
replicationAgent.CreateReplica(

parentGeoDataServer.DefaultWorkingVersion,

parentGeoDataServer,

childGeoDataServer, ...

Hope that helps...

0 Kudos
MKa
by
Occasional Contributor III

Karl,

We originally did use the ReplicationAgent in the connected environment but ran into a number of issues with the connectivity and with the processes basically failing during transfer.  We think the replication agent was also slower than the "disconnected download and import".  I am downloading a Replica with about 14 feature classes.

Since I can't directly download to my Child File Geodatabase like I want, is there a way to do download and import each feauture class of the parent replica to my File Geodatabase individually instead of collectively.  I have noticed that when I take a subset of my replica the speed is greatly improved.  I feel that the Import function itself is taking so long to initiate the import.  I say this because the ReplicaLog always shows the initial Feature class taking a very long time, and the subsequent Feature Classes of the Replica import rather quickly.  Here is the first couple lines of my ReplicaLog

<ReplicaMsg time='4/14/2017 10:54:55 AM' type='LOG_MESSAGE_TYPE_INFO3' code='102010' elapsed='311.767000 seconds'</ReplicaMsg>

<ReplicaMsg time='4/14/2017 10:54:55 AM' type='LOG_MESSAGE_TYPE_INFO3' code='102011' elapsed='0.022000 seconds'</ReplicaMsg>

<ReplicaMsg time='4/14/2017 10:54:56 AM' type='LOG_MESSAGE_TYPE_INFO3' code='102010' elapsed='0.691000 seconds'</ReplicaMsg>

Any advice would be great.  We are starting up my Addin in some worldwide locations and I feel the import speed could be a problem for us.  I don't know if there is any ESRI TCP/IP Recommendations that our network guys might be able to employ for this GEODataServiceURL.

0 Kudos