hidden/disabled layers still slow down workflow performance a lot compared to completely removed layers

Jump to solution
04-20-2017 05:27 AM
MarekDekys
New Contributor III

Hi, I am working on big project with ~20 layers having approx ~300k objects in total:

If I just disable all layers so they are not visible and so not being used and keep working on one small layer (~100 objects),

I still get very slow performance/response for example when trying to move node of a graph network 

when I delete all layers I instantly get a performance increase and moving a node of a graph network is very fast and responsive which is weird because I thought that if layers are disabled/hidden - they are not being used thus save performance but that's not true in my case.

Or maybe It is a bug?

thanks for suggestions

I'm using latest version 2016.1 on powerful hardware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

This is expected behavior.  Hiding the layers doesn't lead to a large performance increase.  All the objects in each layer are still in the scene editor (you can expand the layers to see them) even when they are hidden.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

This is expected behavior.  Hiding the layers doesn't lead to a large performance increase.  All the objects in each layer are still in the scene editor (you can expand the layers to see them) even when they are hidden.