Hiya - issue with Story map Cascade - cannot zoom image.

Jump to solution
04-19-2017 07:15 PM
Connor_Spence
New Contributor II

In my story map cascade maps - I have noticed I cannot zoom in on pictures.

When I zoom it only zooms in on the writing sections & the tabs/bookmark section at the top (banner)

This is especially important for mobile devices (tablet, cellphone etc) as their screen sizes are much smaller. Is this something that you are looking into enabling in the future?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Connor -- thanks for the screenshots. We can look into the issue with the pinch gesture on Android.

However, I would advise against using background images with text that's so small that it needs to be enlarged to be read. This will not look good when the image initially loads and requiring your readers to zoom in on the images to read the text is not a good experience on a desktop, laptop, or mobile device.

If there are charts or graphics from that report that you want to include in your Cascade story I would recommend taking screenshots of those elements (cropping out any text paragraphs) and including those as in-line images in narrative sections or panels. Sometimes charts/graphics can work as a background in an immersive section, but it depends on their layout. You just have to try yours to see (be sure to text on different screen sizes and devices).

If there is text in the report that you want to use in your story just copy or transcribe it into your story (being sure to credit the source if it's not your own work).

If you want your readers to see the full report, include a link to the PDF in your story. Typically it's good to put links to additional resources at the end of your story (possibly even in the Credits section) so you don't invite readers to leave your story before they've finished reading it.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Connor -- Thanks for your question. I just brought up a Cascade story on my iPhone and was able to use the pinch-to-zoom gesture to zoom in on images in different parts of the story.

Can you please let me know what device you are using, how you are trying to zoom in on the images, and a bit more detail about what is not working as expected? If you could make your story public and provide a link to it that may help as well if it's an issue with your specific story.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Connor_Spence
New Contributor II

Hi Owen - Thanks for the fast response! I am using an HTC One M8. The pinch to zoom doesn't zoom at all on the storymap. On the PC the zoom only zooms in on the tab at the top and on the writing sections (not the images - which in the case of this particular story map - contains written content).

Here is the link: http://uhcc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=be78ba5694574227b924c1543f176c8c

I have attached a photo showing what happens on PC when I zoom to 90%90% zoom

and at 150% (default)

150% zoom

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Connor -- thanks for the screenshots. We can look into the issue with the pinch gesture on Android.

However, I would advise against using background images with text that's so small that it needs to be enlarged to be read. This will not look good when the image initially loads and requiring your readers to zoom in on the images to read the text is not a good experience on a desktop, laptop, or mobile device.

If there are charts or graphics from that report that you want to include in your Cascade story I would recommend taking screenshots of those elements (cropping out any text paragraphs) and including those as in-line images in narrative sections or panels. Sometimes charts/graphics can work as a background in an immersive section, but it depends on their layout. You just have to try yours to see (be sure to text on different screen sizes and devices).

If there is text in the report that you want to use in your story just copy or transcribe it into your story (being sure to credit the source if it's not your own work).

If you want your readers to see the full report, include a link to the PDF in your story. Typically it's good to put links to additional resources at the end of your story (possibly even in the Credits section) so you don't invite readers to leave your story before they've finished reading it.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos