Exporting Selected Features from Multiple Layers

04-20-2017 12:57 PM
JonSymoniak
New Contributor

Hello,

I am new to the Arcmap world, adding knowledge to my resume.  One task that I feel should be even more simple than it could be is exporting .shp files.  In my attachment i am showing that i have multiple features selected that are all on different layers.  I cannot find a batch export.  All i can do is select the all the features i want and then one by one export them by right clicking the layer it resides in and exporting data.  But i have to do this one layer by layer.  Please tell me there is a faster way or more efficient way of exporting multiple features all from different layers. A batch export of selected features would be great.

Thanks in advance!

(ARCMAP 10.3.1)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SolomonPulapkura
Occasional Contributor III

With the features selected in ArcMap, open ArcToolbox > Analysis Tools > Extract. In the Extract toolset, right click on the Select tool and choose Batch.

This should do what you want. 

Good luck!

Solomon Pulapkura

GIS & Environmental Engineering Services | Vestra 

JonSymoniak
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Solomon.

I suppose this would work but still is cumbersome.  Even with all my features selected I still need to pick what input feature they are are and select an output folder. Typically I just right click the sub layer and export data.  I'm still thinking there is another way.  I wish i could just right click on the map itself and export data for all of my selected features, no matter what layer they are on and create a shape file for each.

0 Kudos
SolomonPulapkura
Occasional Contributor III

I hear you...

It can be done but you will need to develop a custom GP tool or model to do that. Unfortunately there is no out of the box way other than right clicking on each sub-layer.

Solomon Pulapkura

https://www.vestra.com

0 Kudos
JonSymoniak
New Contributor

OK, thanks.  That is too bad.  I'm coming from Civil 3D which typically there was a shortcut for everything.  I say, if you can select them all, you should be able to export them all at the same time as well..That would be helpful for those who want ArcMap to talk to Autodesk products.  Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated.  

0 Kudos
SibghatUllah1
Occasional Contributor