add an existing projection to the drop down list

Jump to solution
04-21-2017 08:44 PM
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

I am embarking on a new project that is located in Finland and the data in the project folder are projected in Finnish KKJ_Zone 4 [EPSG2394].

The Arc dropdown box lists two projections for Finland under Projected Coordinate Systems/National Grids: KKJ Finland Zone 0 and KKJ Finland Zone 5 (but no Zone 4).

Is there a simple way to add KKJ Finland Zone 4 to the list of selectable projections? or do I have to define the projection myself?

I am using Arc 9.3.1 and Windows 8.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

If it is not exsit in your version, so create it. Then save it in the favorites list by right click on the projection and choose Add to Favorites

the projection properties according to my version ArcGIS 10.1 is:

Finland_Zone_4
WKID: 2394 Authority: EPSG

Projection: Gauss_Kruger
False_Easting: 4500000.0
False_Northing: 0.0
Central_Meridian: 30.0
Scale_Factor: 1.0
Latitude_Of_Origin: 0.0
Linear Unit: Meter (1.0)

Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_KKJ
Angular Unit: Degree (0.0174532925199433)
Prime Meridian: Greenwich (0.0)
Datum: D_KKJ
  Spheroid: International_1924
    Semimajor Axis: 6378388.0
    Semiminor Axis: 6356911.946127947
    Inverse Flattening: 297.0

View solution in original post

13 Replies
AbdullahAnter

If it is not exsit in your version, so create it. Then save it in the favorites list by right click on the projection and choose Add to Favorites

the projection properties according to my version ArcGIS 10.1 is:

Finland_Zone_4
WKID: 2394 Authority: EPSG

Projection: Gauss_Kruger
False_Easting: 4500000.0
False_Northing: 0.0
Central_Meridian: 30.0
Scale_Factor: 1.0
Latitude_Of_Origin: 0.0
Linear Unit: Meter (1.0)

Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_KKJ
Angular Unit: Degree (0.0174532925199433)
Prime Meridian: Greenwich (0.0)
Datum: D_KKJ
  Spheroid: International_1924
    Semimajor Axis: 6378388.0
    Semiminor Axis: 6356911.946127947
    Inverse Flattening: 297.0

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can find any projection not included in your build of the software and download it in Esri format at

http://spatialreference.orgKKJ / Finland zone 4: EPSG Projection -- Spatial Reference  

Once you've loaded it from the downloaded file, add it to your favorites, also keep the file around so you can use it whenever you need it.

WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Curtis (and Abdullah)

Thanks you for the information; this is the solution I was hoping for. However, I have clicked on your link and seen the page. I cannot see any function on that page that allows the user to download the projection

Regards

Walter

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From the page below, right-click the link "Esri WKT" and save the file to a local location, rename the file to have a .prj extension.

You can then browse to that from the ArcGIS coordinate system dialog.

KKJ / Finland zone 4: EPSG Projection -- Spatial Reference 

AbdullahAnter

Let me share your post in map projections and Coordinate Reference Systems to find someone ,who know is the projection in ArcGIS version 9.3.1exist  or not?

and I will mention that to Melita Kennedy  I'm sure she has the answer.

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Thanks for your help out there. The option of directly downloading the projection and giving it a .prj ending did not work. The Arc explorer did not recognise the file when I tried to assign it to the map. Creating a new projection using the parameters supplied by your kind selves did work.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Walter.

By default Windows hides file extensions. I highly recommend you turn this option off as it really adds confusion. Also, when you Save As, make sure you do not save as Text Document:

This save/as will not work, as it will save a file download.prj.txt.

download as txt

If you change type to All Files this will save download1.prj so it will show up in the browse list.

Note "download.prj" is not in the list because it is really "download.prj.txt",

"download1.prj" DOES show up.

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Curtis

It did not download with the .prj extension but I gave it that by renaming, once it was in my folder

Cheers

Walter

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Walter, if you haven't clicked the box in Windows Explorer to turn off 'hide known file extensions' and rename a file to file.prj, it's "real name" is still file.prj.txt, the extension is hidden.

I turn that setting off as the first thing I do when I get set up with a new windows login! I am grateful that although Esri added this as an option inside Catalog, the default is OFF (don't hide extension).

screen shot of windows explorer with hide extensions of known file types checked

0 Kudos