ArcGIS Pro and displaying Tins

04-21-2017 09:32 AM
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

I have generated a pretty large TIN within Pro.  When I try to display the TIN within a Map my computer CPU goes through the roof, and it takes well over 10 minutes to draw, I ended up turning it off due to the wait.  I loaded the same data into ArcMap, and it blew away Pro, 2 minutes (with breaklines).  What is the deal???   My machine is robust:  Windows 10, 3.3GHz, 16 Gigs of RAM.  NVIDIA K5100M.  I have Pro displaying OpenGL.  My graphics card is up-to-date as of a couple of days ago.  Any other settings I may check?  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...this sounds like Bug-000089581 to me - found in ArcGIS Pro 1.1.

TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

Well that's a bummer because I'm on Pro 1.4.  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Is this something you can share via a Map or Project Package?  I could test it on my Alpha 2.0 ArcGIS Pro version to test whether it's been fixed.

0 Kudos
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

It's 300mgs.  Here is an ftp link ShareFile.   

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Tony - downloaded your file and have been attempting to work with it in 3D using Pro 1.4 and 2.0 (Alpha).  Similar to your experience, it just slogs away attempting to draw anything.  I would recommend you reach out to Support Services with the Bug reference and ask about it's status.  In addition, perhaps add your organization's customer number to the bug report too.  This is not acceptable 3d performance with TIN data.

MirandaMuller1
New Contributor II

Robert, was there ever any progress on fixing this bug? Our ESRI suppliers keep pushing for us to move to Pro, and I really cannot even consider it until I can have a guarantee of reasonable performance with TINS as we use them a lot! There have been no updates on the bug site.. yet ESRI has been aware of this bug since 2015?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Miranda, I looked into the bug status and it's listed as "in the product plan" which roughly means it's in the queue to be resolved.  The sample data listed higher up in the thread no longer is available so I was unable to test it against ArcGIS Pro. 2.1.2 (latest release).  ArcGIS Pro 2.2 is slated to be out prior to user conference and from what I've heard is "functional equivalency" compared to ArcMap.  I hope this bug is resolved as well in order to assist you and your company in the transition.

0 Kudos