Problems with my "hyperlinks' not showing up

Jump to solution
04-21-2017 11:28 AM
AnnaPhillips
New Contributor

I am having problems with my "hyperlinks' not showing up with my layer in my Enterprise Geodatabase.  I can't seem to find the answer but are hyperlinks in the project or the map layer?  If the map layer, what might be keeping the link from not showing up?  they show up in the project I created them in but not when I use that same layer in another project. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anna

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Anna,

Are you trying to hyperlink to a URL or a document?   If a field contains this information you will need to right-click on the layer in ArcMap > Properties > Display tab and choose which field contains the URL or path to the document.

If it's a document, such as a JPG, I would recommend using Attachments rather than a hyperlink.  With attachments you don't have to set any properties to show the document/image.  They will show by identifying the feature.

Also, here is a great tool to convert hyperlinks to attachments:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=473c510504f445d5a6d593cf1a7f1133 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

The hyperlinks are stored in the attribute table, but they are configured for use in the layer. I just get the layer setup how I want in a mxd and then save that layer to a folder for use in other mxds/projects (right click the layer in the table of contents and save as layer file).

Using Hyperlinks—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Saving layers and layer packages—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Anna,

Are you trying to hyperlink to a URL or a document?   If a field contains this information you will need to right-click on the layer in ArcMap > Properties > Display tab and choose which field contains the URL or path to the document.

If it's a document, such as a JPG, I would recommend using Attachments rather than a hyperlink.  With attachments you don't have to set any properties to show the document/image.  They will show by identifying the feature.

Also, here is a great tool to convert hyperlinks to attachments:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=473c510504f445d5a6d593cf1a7f1133 

AnnaPhillips
New Contributor

Thanks for this alternative way to link to the data.  I have found this way to keep the attachments for others to use by just pulling the map layer into their project.

0 Kudos